How to fix this metal edge in ceiling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
PXL_20221017_132017025.MP.jpg

On our ceiling, towards the edge I see the metal piece sticking out only on the edge, which is mildly lose.

Can I nail this in and then use Polyfilla to cover it all up and sand it down finally painting it back to the colour of the ceiling?

Looking for ways to resolve this.

If you haven't got any plasterboard screws use what you've got.length depends on what gap there is between plasterboard and whatevers beneath it. if its brick you may need to drill and plug it

That's 'Expamet' (Expanded Metal) 'stop bead' or 'angle bead', which is fitted to external corners when plastering walls to get a neat and durable edge to the corners and act as a guide for the trowel. This sort of stuff:

https://www.diy.com/departments/exp...EbP7uKfQqcxHCwUClWVRoClIQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.d

Ordinarily, it's attached with the first coat of plaster, and when set, the finish plaster coat is applied. It should only come loose if it's been hit with something to dislodge it. Depending on what's behind the plasterboard you might be able to use plasterboard drywall screws (certainly not nails), to fix the bead back, but to do a decent job, given that the Expamet bead seems to have become detached for about 30cms along the wall with the plaster attached to it, I'd suggest that you need to remove that plaster and refix the bead securely, then rather than use Polyfilla, use either multi-finish plaster or Thistle finish plaster to make good the damage.

You can buy ready mixed plaster, but you can only apply about a 5mm layer, it takes about 24 hours to set and from my limited experience with it, if it's more than 5mm thick, it tends to 'slump' as it slowly dries. 1 kg of that costs about as much as a 7.5kg bag of Thistle which sets in maybe 20 minutes or so depending on how think you mix it.

These two videos might be of help and interest, albeit they go a bit beyond what you wish to do. (Note the use of PVA adhesive):

Stop bead:

Angle bead:

This is an example of 1 kg of ready mixed plaster, which as I said, takes about 24 hours to set:

https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...ixed-finishing-plaster-1kg-tub/1849576_BQ.prd

7.5kg of Thistle Finish only costs a little more, but no doubt you'd be left with 7kg surplus.

Thistle Finishing Plaster 7.5kg | Toolstation

Hope that might help a bit.

Good luck with it whatever you do.

David.

That's 'Expamet' (Expanded Metal) 'stop bead' or 'angle bead', which is fitted to external corners when plastering walls to get a neat and durable edge to the corners and act as a guide for the trowel. This sort of stuff:

https://www.diy.com/departments/exp...EbP7uKfQqcxHCwUClWVRoClIQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.d

Ordinarily, it's attached with the first coat of plaster, and when set, the finish plaster coat is applied. It should only come loose if it's been hit with something to dislodge it. Depending on what's behind the plasterboard you might be able to use plasterboard drywall screws (certainly not nails), to fix the bead back, but to do a decent job, given that the Expamet bead seems to have become detached for about 30cms along the wall with the plaster attached to it, I'd suggest that you need to remove that plaster and refix the bead securely, then rather than use Polyfilla, use either multi-finish plaster or Thistle finish plaster to make good the damage.

You can buy ready mixed plaster, but you can only apply about a 5mm layer, it takes about 24 hours to set and from my limited experience with it, if it's more than 5mm thick, it tends to 'slump' as it slowly dries. 1 kg of that costs about as much as a 7.5kg bag of Thistle which sets in maybe 20 minutes or so depending on how think you mix it.

These two videos might be of help and interest, albeit they go a bit beyond what you wish to do. (Note the use of PVA adhesive):

Stop bead:

Angle bead:

This is an example of 1 kg of ready mixed plaster, which as I said, takes about 24 hours to set:

https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...ixed-finishing-plaster-1kg-tub/1849576_BQ.prd

7.5kg of Thistle Finish only costs a little more, but no doubt you'd be left with 7kg surplus.

Thistle Finishing Plaster 7.5kg | Toolstation

Hope that might help a bit.

Good luck with it whatever you do.

David.

Thanks will take a look.

The image is the ceiling around the stairs but I removed the existing plaster in order to show you guys what I was seeing as it's slightly loose.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Jamie, these beads are nailed on into plasterboard beneath but looking at the photos it looks like depth of plaster on top of the bead is quite thick so you may get away with a screw (which would sit further proud of the surface than a nail), any nail will do though, doesn’t have to be drywall screws. As long as that holds it fairly steady, once you plaster over it (thistle multi finish, or like you said a bit of a bodge job with poly filla if you don’t have any plastering skills) then that will add further strength. Failing that you could use some plasterboard adhesive, mix it to be a really thick consistency and then squeeze that in behind the bead and use something to hold it in situ while it dries (you may need to wet the surface to avoid suction drying the mixture out further especially if it’s a dusty surface beneath). Hope that helps.

From what I can see in your photo there may not be anything to screw or nail onto. Possibly the angle bead was just stuck onto the rough edge of a plasterboard sheet that’s extending beyond the nearest joist. If that’s the case, your best bet may be to secure the end of the bead to the timber with Tec7 or similar, dig out the loose/cracked plaster, bridge the gap with scrim and then make it good.

Would "no more nails" or similar be adequate to quickly stick the angle bead down. Will set in a couple of minutes and once plastered over should not move.

How about using a piece of L shaped timber moulding over it instead, would avoid it cracking in future and painted white like the ceiling it wouldn't look out of place.

Would "no more nails" or similar be adequate to quickly stick the angle bead down. Will set in a couple of minutes and once plastered over should not move.
I use it to fix the beads on in the first place, have never had one come loose. In this case would probably be a good idea to tape it down whilst it sets to ensure it stays in the right place, then just plaster over it.

Back