How To Deal With Split Blanks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use epoxy, If the split goes right through a good way of getting the glue in is to stick the vacumn cleaner nozzle one side, it will pull the glue right through, keep moving the nozzle where you need it.
I have also used small holes drilled in & injected the epoxy with a syringe.

I think the main problem there is that there is nothing remotely artistic or attractive about the crack. It's ugly. If the crack opened up along the grain or was a radial shake from the heart it would lend itself to butterflies or a coloured or metallic infil, but cracks like that don't.

In general I'd say hammer a cold chisel into the split and when you have two pieces see what you could do with each. Not much help here though - perhaps just keep going and when it's finished if it hasn't come apart then fill the crack with one of those Liberon coloured waxes, before polishing.

You can glue splits and/or fill them but at the end of the day, it will still look like a bowl with a split in it, which if you are trying to sell it, might put off some customers.
Duncan is on the right track - if it's safe to put on the lathe, turn the crack away or if not, cut a section off. Sometimes I would cut a blank through the crack and make a smaller blank without a crack but it depends on the blank and what could be salvaged.
Another way out would be to just cut a slice of the side of the blank to remove the crack and re-cut to a slightly smaller circle. Occasionally with blanks like that I just move the centre at the beginning so the crack gets turned away but turning a blank off centre induces some vibration so it would depend on the size of the blank and the amount of offset needed.

Back