how to add orange to my varnish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbowley

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pine pedestal table and chairs and I wanted to re-finish the table top. I bought Ronseal Diamond Hard varnish, antique pine colour.

The exisitng colour of the pedestal and chairs is quite orange, on the varnish tin the colour did not look at all orange but at B&Q there were sample pieces of stained wood and it was the colour i was after.

I've just put the 4th coat on and it is not getting at all orange.

2 questions: Can I adjust a coloured varnish by adding stain? If so will I be able to change what I've done so far by adding more coats, even if I have to add many more?

Don't know, you may be able to. I would pour some into a smaller container and add some stain to see if they mix well, if they do then it's a case of adjusting to get the colour you want and trying on test pieces

Don't worry, it won't be long before it goes that colour anyway as a result of exposure to light. In fact, there little you can do to prevent varnished pine going orange eventually.

Mike

I may be wrong but I don't think Ronseal Diamond Hard Varnish (RDHV) is solvent based. I'm pretty sure it's just a single pack waterbased coating.

If thats the case then it won't go orange/yellow over time. I think your best option is to put in about 15% water stain into the RDHV apply over surface and then seal it in with a final clear coat.

Hope this helps

Ian

It isn't the varnish that I was suggesting would go yellow/ orange..........it was the underlying wood!

Ian knows more about finishes than just about anyone on the planet.....so he will surely be right on the varnish. But I really wouldn't add any colour unless you want to match right now, but have a strong possibility of the surface not matching as the wood turns orange over time.

Different of course if the original was varnished with a coloured varnish....normally a brown ("Antique Pine" or "Dark Oak" or somesuch).

Mike

Ian........no absolutely not!!!! You didn't irritate me in the least. I was being genuine.............you do know more than most on this, and I bow to your better knowledge and judgement. Please don't think for a minute that I was being sarcastic or anything. It is so difficult getting the nuances of your meaning across through a key-board and screen.............and I've obviously got it wrong again. Many apologies....

My point, (obviously poorly made!!), was that you were right on the varnish, but that the piece of furniture will go yellow anyway. So the chap has the choice of matching now (by adding colour), or matching in the future by leaving it to yellow naturally (which I reckon it will certainly do unless he happens to use a product with a UV filter in it).

Sorry again for any implication........it really wasn't intended.

Best wishes

Mike

Thanks Mike.

There's no doubt I'm guilty of misreading messages or worse not reading them carefully enough before responding.

As said, I would hate to come across as a know-it-all. The best thing about this business is how much I learn each day, it never fails to amaze me how woodfinishes can be used in so many weird and wonderful combinations and locations.

Thanks again.

All the best

Ian

Back