how to achieve this finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigs

Established Member
Reaction score
afternoon fine people,

This is Rubio monocoat white cotton, is there any (simple) way to achieve look this without the expense of monocoat? for example i presume a liming wax would wear off and so is not as durable? I also imagine you cant put a protective layer on top of a wax....because well its a wax.
Cheers
Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 13.51.33.png

You could create a wash, using water based acrylic, diluted, and then finish with a clear lacquer?

I've never done this personally, but I have stained wood with dye and then lacquered with a water based 40% sheen lacquer.

What are you finishing? You may get a sample pot of monocoat and a little goes a long way. I finished a TV unit and a side table and it used up maybe quarter of the smallest tin that I could get.

If it is a bigger item, pay for the monocoat. It is brilliant stuff. If you are trade, you will same money on not having to apply a second coat which will cover the premium for the finish. It dries on contact so no dust issues, no denibbing, nothing to clean because you spread with a store loyalty card or similar. If you are not trade and you don't charge for labour, well you can enjoy the time saved with a coffee and a cigar!

The only downside of the sample pots of Rubio is that it is part A only. Adding part B reduces the drying time by days. And a second minor point, the tins are messy. You want to get a couple of syringes to measure it out.

Its only for projects, I normally use osmo, but i have a side table and tv cabinet i made in white oak that I want to refinish and i really like the look of it.

i guess monocoat it's the easiest way without all the fuss of lots of processes. I did try a white spirit stain but it didn't come out how i wanted.

how do you use monocoat? i see people pour it on and squeegee it which looks like a lot of product

Its only for projects, I normally use osmo, but i have a side table and tv cabinet i made in white oak that I want to refinish and i really like the look of it.

i guess monocoat it's the easiest way without all the fuss of lots of processes. I did try a white spirit stain but it didn't come out how i wanted.

how do you use monocoat? i see people pour it on and squeegee it which looks like a lot of product

You put a bit on and squeegee it out. When the surface is wet then it is done so you move the excess to the next bit.

It is expensive so I wasnt going to waste any on a brush or soaking into a cloth. With the squeegee you use much less than you would expect. I mixed some in the bottom of a plastic cup and poured it from there. Hard to judge, but like a squirt of ketchup at a time. I maybe used 4 squirts on a TV unit and a little more for the edges which I couldn't squeegee. Once I had wetted the whole part, I used a clean dry cloth to remove the excess but to be honest there wasn't much to remove with this method.

You put a bit on and squeegee it out. When the surface is wet then it is done so you move the excess to the next bit.

It is expensive so I wasnt going to waste any on a brush or soaking into a cloth. With the squeegee you use much less than you would expect. I mixed some in the bottom of a plastic cup and poured it from there. Hard to judge, but like a squirt of ketchup at a time. I maybe used 4 squirts on a TV unit and a little more for the edges which I couldn't squeegee. Once I had wetted the whole part, I used a clean dry cloth to remove the excess but to be honest there wasn't much to remove with this method.
cheers marcros, ill see where i can find some (y)

Back