Refinishing a Floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question about how to refinish a floor and what to use if anyone has any experience.

I have solid maple flooring which is in need of refinishing. I am also pulling down a wall which will mean putting in some new bits of flooring so refinishing makes sense to make it all match.

I am wanting to change the colour of the floor and was wondering about using Rubio Monocoat Cotton White.

My question is, is Rubio Monocoat a good floor finish or will it wear very quickly? Its marketed as a floor finish but I am keen to know if anyone has any real world experience with this.

Picture of flooring below. (yes we are still waiting for our new furniture, living on borrowed couches and camping chairs haha)
IMG-20221024-WA0011.jpg

From my seat the floor looks stunning, I have no experience of the Rubio product (or floor finishes in general) so don't know what I'm talking about, but I wonder if you would need to strip off the existing finish a serious amount to be able to apply a "colour changing varnish"? Perhaps a good quality clear water based "varnish" would be easier to apply and look pretty good.

From my seat the floor looks stunning, I have no experience of the Rubio product (or floor finishes in general) so don't know what I'm talking about, but I wonder if you would need to strip off the existing finish a serious amount to be able to apply a "colour changing varnish"? Perhaps a good quality clear water based "varnish" would be easier to apply and look pretty good.
The floor is very nice however its probably around 10 years old or more and where i will be putting some new bits in where i take the wall down, plus an area which needs replacing due to a flood in the kitchen, the colour will be very different which is leading me to the opportunity of completely refinishing the floor and changing the colour slightly.

I think it currently has a varnish on it and I am not opposed to going that route but i like the rubio colour, ease of application and I wonder if it will stand up to the traffic as that floor runs pretty much through the entire of my house.

Back