Bar Top, what finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
Another question in relation to the bar im currently working on.

I have decided to go with a red oak bar top which i am going to stain black. The bar top will feature a undermount prep sink as well as a drip tray and glass rinser (attached). I want a pretty low profile top so will probably end up with a 3/4" thick top.

Im unsure what stain and finish would be best for this as the top will get a bit of abuse and im particularly worried about around the sink, should i be using some kind of epoxy finish or would Rubio Monocoat work for this? Im not scared to have to refinish the top from time to time.

Glad of any input on this.

Attachments

• DTU24x5SS-CR__01164.jpg
    DTU24x5SS-CR__01164.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
Maybe an opportunity to give black tinted epoxy a go? A couple of test pieces would be a good experiment 🙂

Im not after a high gloss finish thats my concern. i guess my main question is, will i run into issues around the sink with a oil based finish

After a lot of research, i refinished a wooden worktop, with built in drainage grooves, in tongue oil. I cant say how it's surviving because I havent been back to the house since, but that was 5 or 6 years ago.... no complaints. The original oil finish had long gone and the drainer area was black and furry, so i used oxalic and cleaned it back, sanded smooth once dry, then 5 coats of oil.

take a look at Timber Tec from CCC in the UK, Ive used this a lot on wooden sinks, outdoor tops, tables and all types of wood from pine to Teak
will even take boiler water poured on it after a week

You can use (Rustin's) Plastic Coating over stain, but the first coat sometimes lifts the stain a little - it doesn't matter, but it can affect the drying time. Other finishes are probably much the same. I can't say for water based stain, but it might not lift so quickly as spirit based. There's probably info on YouTube, it's a long established product.

Latest posts

Back