How to achieve this colour?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georget79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this thread Please help - messed up the floorboards a while ago after messing up my mother's floorboards.

I eventually opted to have someone in to have them sanded and I'd varnish them afterwards. I'm very pleased with the results (see images) and it's come out a white pine with some parts a little darker.

I was told by the guys who did it that if i put water down it would show me the colour a clear finish would give. But after two coats of a test area of ronseal clear, it doesn't seem to be making much difference. The other image here shows water, the two coats, and none.

How can I achieve a golden colour similar to the water effect, keeping the natural grains of the wood?

Want to make sure what I'm doing this time to avoid any more mess ups 😅

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_130511.jpg
    IMG_20230413_130511.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230413_171909.jpg
    IMG_20230413_171909.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_23-04-13_17-08-04-804.jpg
    Picsart_23-04-13_17-08-04-804.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I've got to say I'd be over the moon with the colour you have got with two coats of Ronseal Clear. It is bright and clean. To me the colour you have with a wipe of water reminds me of a Sauna.

Colin

The ronseal varnish is likely water based so will dry with minimum change to the wood colour, an oil based varnish will give you a darker wood after drying. Ironic really considering your testing. Agree with Colin on what looks better mind.

I've got to say I'd be over the moon with the colour you have got with two coats of Ronseal Clear. It is bright and clean. To me the colour you have with a wipe of water reminds me of a Sauna.

Colin
😅 Yes I see what you mean. In an ideal world, I'd like it closer to the colour of the coffee table (see image) its just that the color after the clear finish still feels a bit pale.

I don't know if using an oil based clear finish would make it darker.. I'm not sure if it's oil or water based which i used, can't see it anywhere on the tin

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_173655.jpg
    IMG_20230413_173655.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
The ronseal varnish is likely water based so will dry with minimum change to the wood colour, an oil based varnish will give you a darker wood after drying. Ironic really considering your testing. Agree with Colin on what looks better mind.
Yeah I was thinking about the oil based maybe drying darker. I'll need to try and work out for sure if this is water based I've been using

If you want to have the more golden colour then you need to use an oil based varnish. The polymers in the oil are what refracts the light to give the golden colour. So any oil rather than water based polyurethene will do

If you want to have the more golden colour then you need to use an oil based varnish. The polymers in the oil are what refracts the light to give the golden colour. So any oil rather than water based polyurethene will do
Does it take a lot longer to dry/strong odour?

way longer like a couple of days between coats and a week to fully cure

😅 Yes I see what you mean. In an ideal world, I'd like it closer to the colour of the coffee table (see image) its just that the color after the clear finish still feels a bit pale.

I don't know if using an oil based clear finish would make it darker.. I'm not sure if it's oil or water based which i used, can't see it anywhere on the tin
What does it say to clean brushes in. Water, it’s water based. White spirit or thinners it’s oil based.

If you want to have the more golden colour then you need to use an oil based varnish. The polymers in the oil are what refracts the light to give the golden colour. So any oil rather than water based polyurethene will

Ah, may need to pass on that then. Carers in every day walking around I don't think it would work. Oh well nevermind, I'm sure it will look good anyway with the one I'm using

If you want to have the more golden colour then you need to use an oil based varnish. The polymers in the oil are what refracts the light to give the golden colour. So any oil rather than water based polyurethene will

Ah, may need to pass on that then. Carers in every day walking around I don't think it would work. Oh well evermind, I'm sure it will look good anyway with the one I'm using
It will get darker, more golden with time as the wood surface reacts to light.
Right now it is fine, later it will be fine too..leave it with two coats of what you have.
Thanks, that makes me feel better about it. I never knew that, so much to learn about wood!

Back