How much to re-wire a house?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

We have a 2 bed terraced house we have bought to rent out and are currently getting all the trades in to quote for the refurb works. the house is completely gutted, empty (no kitchen and only sink and toilet left in bathroom as per advice from builder friend) so easy to work in.

We have had an electrician in to quote for a complete re-wire comprising of the following:

Downstairs

Entrance Hall - 1 double, new ceiling light & switch, external light & switch.
Living room - New consumer unit, 2 doubles, spur for fire, new ceiling light & switch.
Dining room - 2 doubles, spur for fire, new ceiling light & switch, light & switch in under stair cupboard.
Kitchen - new ceiling light & switch, oven circuit, 4 doubles, spurs for dishwasher, washing machine & cooker hood.
Outside - 2 lanterns in back garden.

Upstairs
Bedroom 1 - 3 doubles, new ceiling light & switch.
Bedroom 2 - 3 doubles, new ceiling light & switch.
Landing - 1 double, new ceiling light & switch.
Bathroom - Combi boiler circuit, new ceiling light & switch, extractor fan.

On top of this he is going to wire in an alarm with 4 PIR's and fit 4 smokes and a heat detector in the kitchen.

All in he has quoted me £2750. How does that sound to you in the know??

Cheers

Mark

That's not a bad price to be fair. With it being a shell though and not lived in I think you get it a bit cheaper. Are they patching up the walls or is that part of the plasterers price?

We have had an electrician in to quote for a complete re-wire comprising of the following:

Is this the only quote? ie was this the lowest quote out of X amount of quotes.

And is it all in ie labour and materials?

Its not too bad if all in.

Onlhy quote thus far, there's a sparsity of available sparks around here at the moment, but we have used this lad before and my mate who runs his own building firm recommends him highly.

Yep, price is all in, parts & labour.

Cheers

Mark

kasandrich":2qtsw38p said:
I find it a little strange that you have more sockets in each of the bedrooms than you have in the lounge.
Think that's a typo, should have been 3 in living room too, 1 where TV etc go and 2 more around room.

In bedrooms 1 either side of bed for lamps etc and another on another wall.

For a man of your talents you could easily fit and configure an alarm with 4 PIR's and say 2 door contacts (front and back\side). If it's a shell ('ish) be even easier.

Around £500 seems to be the going rate for a basic alarm.

The bits would cost you around £100. Obviously there's no Part P rubbish to contend with.

Can't really comment on the sparky bits - those I do myself and then get someone into check or sign-off. Well actually BR do currently - they've been visiting that long - the neighbours probably think they're friends\relatives!

HIH

Dibs

That sounds like a perfectly fair price to me, especially if you have a recommendation. I've been quoted from £2K-£5K for a small rewire in the past (no alarm).

Dibs-h":3r7atvm1 said:
For a man of your talents you could easily fit and configure an alarm with 4 PIR's and say 2 door contacts (front and back\side). If it's a shell ('ish) be even easier.

Around £500 seems to be the going rate for a basic alarm.

The bits would cost you around £100. Obviously there's no Part P rubbish to contend with.

Can't really comment on the sparky bits - those I do myself and then get someone into check or sign-off. Well actually BR do currently - they've been visiting that long - the neighbours probably think they're friends\relatives!

HIH

Dibs
Yeah I could probably do it myself Dibs but tbh it's time that I am short of at the moment, and while I would prefer to not have to spend the cash, realistically when I get home from work (live in warrington, work in Watford) I just want to spend a little bit of time with the babies, put them to bed then spend some time with the missus. Last thing I need is to be spending a couple of evenings, or a weekend, doing the alarm.

I might have a look at it myself but I figure that while he's doing all the rest he might as well just get on with it, then it's done and out the way and I don't need to worry about when I'm going to find the time.

Cheers

Mark

Onlhy quote thus far, there's a sparsity of available sparks around here at the moment, but we have used this lad before and my mate who runs his own building firm recommends him highly.

Use yourloaf man,you get three quotes,disregard the lowest quote and confront your man with the second quote and ask him if he can match the second quote and if he says yes then give him the job.

Its called saving money. :)

TrimTheKing":3jfmju5m said:
Yeah I could probably do it myself Dibs but tbh it's time that I am short of at the moment, and while I would prefer to not have to spend the cash, realistically when I get home from work (live in warrington, work in Watford) I just want to spend a little bit of time with the babies, put them to bed then spend some time with the missus. Last thing I need is to be spending a couple of evenings, or a weekend, doing the alarm.

I might have a look at it myself but I figure that while he's doing all the rest he might as well just get on with it, then it's done and out the way and I don't need to worry about when I'm going to find the time.

Cheers

Mark

I know what you mean about time, wish I had more. One thing I would say is - there's no such things as "whilst he's there..." No tradesmen works on that premise. They all charge for that extra bit as if the bulk of the job never existed. :roll:

As George says - get at least one other quote. Let us know how you get on. If you want some advice on the alarm - even just to make sure it's not a rubbish one - drop me a PM.

HIH

Dibs

RussianRouter":tk31j8c8 said:

Use yourloaf man,you get three quotes,disregard the lowest quote and confront your man with the second quote and ask him if he can match the second quote and if he says yes then give him the job.

Its called saving money. :)
Haha, exactly what I have done today (get two more sparks in to price up), I was just asking on here to see whether the first price was in the ball park or not :D

I manage the team that looks after the EU Voice & Data network for my company and our main IT centre is in Watford.

I work at home on Monday and Friday but Tue-Thur I commute! I prefer to travel than stay over as I get half an hour with the babies before i bath and put them to bed. That's worth more to me than any sleep I'm missing out on :D

It certainly saps the energy by the end of the thursday I can tell you that :cry: but it pays the bills and allows me to do the things I want to do at home so I suck it up and get on with it.

Back