how much do i need a sliding table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
ok I got the space and i suppose I got the money but how much do i need a sliding table?

why do i ask? Well the sip itech saw with S&S clocks in at £450 and the Axy with sliding table clocks in a £600+ now.

I don't do a hell of a lot with sheets but may in the future and wouldn't want to think "Damn wish i had that sliding table".

what you reckon?

I use my sliding table all the time and rarely do anything with sheets. Repeatable cross cuts using a stop? I find the longer length compare with a mitre guage to be a vast improvement, but I think you'll find Tony has an opposite view!

Adam

It depends how accurate it is and what capacity it can handle. Plus do you have enough room for it?
I used mine on my Scheppach TS2000 a lot until I got a SCMS and now it hardly ever gets attached to my machine.
But then I don't have much space. Also you're not comparing like with like - which is the better saw? Have you seen them both in action?
Cheers
Gidon

selly":rx56a1tv said:
ok I got the space and i suppose I got the money but how much do i need a sliding table?

My tablesaw came with one.

Sold it unused as I had one with my previous saw and found it was almost unused, even on large ply boards.

If the table has a decent amount of area and you get a good mitre gauge (I use the Osborne), then I see no need for it unless you regularly cut 8 by 4 sheets.

I have the Fox 8" which has a smallish sliding table(not for large sheet work!). I know that it is not comparable with a higher end machine but if you dont expect "out of the box" perfection and are prepared to spend time tweaking and shimming here and there it is suprisingly accurate. Its also compact and not expensive.

Selly,

This is one of the debates that seems to polarise people.

I have a similar saw to Tony's - mine is the Fox one but it's about the same size etc and like his it came with a sliding table. I use mine all the time for cross cutting anything wider than about 8 inches and for all panel work. I really wouldn't want to be without it. I think Tony got rid of his straight away and doesn't miss it at all.

Neither of is is right or wrong, it's just personal preference. You need to think about what you will use it for.

One thing to watch out for though is that they take up a lot of space. I have a double garage and wouldn't really want to be using one in much less space than that.

Cheers
Mike

Well I think because I'm not short of space and because I don't have a SCMS I think I may as well go for it really.

Ok the axy as a bit dearer now but probably money well spent. :)

I have my Kity 619s sliding table packed away, just too bulky, and instead use one of Norms home made panel cutters in the t slot. Much more compact when space is at a premium. Big sheets are probably best cut with a CC over saw stools until they are a managable size in our situation.
Cheers andy

Sawdust":13nwgsxm said:
This is one of the debates that seems to polarise people.
Oh boy, are you ever right there!

The points made about panel sizing are probably the most valid. Unless you can accommodate at least a half-size panel saw, something like this rebuilt Wadkin panel saw:

wadkin-sp122.jpg

wadkin-sp121.jpg

or a standard table saw with a 4ft plus crosscut capacity on the add-on sliding carriage like this:

BursgreenMYwith6ftslidingtablecirca.jpg

Then a table saw is never going to be a satisfactory method of initial breaking-down of sheet stock. You'll still need to have something like a portable circular saw and a straight edge/rail system.

As to the usefulness of a sliding carriage I think it depends on the size and type of the stock you are handling. For most joinery applications (i.e. frame and panel constructions, etc) a rip saw (or a table saw with a rip blade and run-off table) or bandsaw in conjunction with a crosscut saw (i.e. a chop saw or radial arm saw) will be more flexible than a table saw with a sliding carriage - partly because long narrow stock tends to flop about on most small sliding carriages. The two main instances I can see a sliding carriage being of great use is where you don't have a cross cut saw in the shop or where large quantities of small panel stock are being sized. This opinion puts me at odds with that of many people, I know, but the quality of cut from specific rip and crosscut blades is far higher than you'll ever get out of a combination blade.

Scrit

I have a sliding table for my Schepppach, but it took up so much room I took it off and resorted to other ways to cut down large material on the few occasions I needed to.

But now I have to make some new cabinets and the cheapest way is to buy them wholesale in 8'x4' (or larger) sheet.

I don't cherish the idea of re-installing the sliding table, because even with that it is not practical to cut down such large board safely or accurately.

I recently saw a video of a table system which I have since been studying, and I think that is the way I am going to go.

If it all works out as it is suggested, I may even ditch the Scheppach completely - having just spent some time reworking it :?

Aaaand if the sliding table or the cross cut arm are not precisely set and rigidly stay in place as is the case on some cheaper saws it's a totally frustrating experience.

Dom

I had a sliding table for the first time when I bought my Scheppach 2010 just over a year ago. It has been a revelation and i really don't know how I managed without it. The micro adjustment is terrific when it comes to cutting repeatable lengths, and also for cutting tenons. But then I don't have a SCMS.

For the new shop (will e ready sometime at the beginning of next year) I want some new kit. To start off with a brand new table saw a real cabinate saw this time. I;ve looked at several and found 2 saws that meed my needs. The Jet JTS 250 CS and the saw stop. The Jet comes standard with a small sliding table, and for the saw stop I can't seem to find any one who sells it over here.

I do have a small shop and I do believe the sliding table will be handy and when in need of space (although the sliding table does not take an extreme amount of space) I could just detach the thing.

tnimble":axplodol said:
......and for the Saw Stop I can't seem to find any one who sells it over here.
You probably won't, either. It's not CE-compliant as it does not have certain mandatory safety features incorporated

Scrit

I have a Jet SS with sliding table. I know a lot of people have got rid of it and put the fixed left table on instead but I like the sliding table and use it regularly

I have the European version of the Axy that Tony has. I did fit the sliding table although it takes a lot of space and i find that i am using it all the time. With the Axy saw the table setting adjustments are easy to get at and logical in their movements so setting up and any periodic re-adjustment is not a big problem.
Peter

Well as I started this thread. I'll say that I went for the axy sliding table saw simply because it wasn't a lot more than the SIP with 10% off too.

not got it up and running yet but I do have plenty of space anyway and so that helps.

You made a good choice. I live in France and Axminster wanted £300 just to ship the saw to me so I bought the same saw from Holz Profi in France.
Great machine - I am very pleased with mine.
The only changes I have made are as follows:
Deepen the slots on the riving knife so that it drops below the table.
Add a short fence attacment to the main fence.
Drill and tap the bar on the mitre attachment and add grub screws to take out the very slight slop that exisited between the mitre attachment and the slot.
I also bought a 4 speed titling spindle moulder from Holt Profi which seems to have been manufactured by the same company that made the saw. It is a great piece of engineering and I am very pleased with that also.
Peter

Latest posts

Back