How many zeros in a billion?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Appologies in advance to anyone who's seen this before - new to me! (and I can't vouch for accuracy). :)

A Billion Pounds means nothing unless you can relate it to something we can understand better. I hope this helps you to understand what a mess our government has got us into. Thank you Mr Darling!!

How many zeros in a billion?

This is too true to be funny.

The next time you hear a politician use the Word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about Whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, But one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of it's releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B.. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet..

E. A billion Pounds ago was only 13 hours and 12 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

Building Permit Tax / Cigarette Tax / Corporate TAX / Income Tax / Unemployment Tax / Fishing License Tax
Food tax / Fuel Tax / Petrol/Diesel Tax / Inheritance Tax / Capital Gains Tax / (tax on top of tax) / Alcohol Tax
Marriage License Tax / Property Sales Tax / Local Rates Tax / Service Charge Taxes / Social Security/NI Tax
Television Licence Tax / Road fund Tax / Car Parking Tax / Vehicle License Registration Tax / Vehicle Sales Tax / Value Added Tax??? - Tax Tax Tax on Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago...and our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt...

We had the largest middle class in the world...

And Mum stayed home to raise the kids.

What the hell happened????
:? :shock: :roll:

I suppose there will always be those who will hanker after "the good old days".

What was life expectancy 100 years ago?

No road tax, tv licence etc as these inventions weren't around 100 years ago.

Biggest pile of bull$hit i've read in a long time.

IMO

Cheers

Karl

I suppose it depends what sort of life we want?

50 - 70 years of a good standard of living, retiring at 65. Spending just 35 hours a week working and being able to spending quality time with the family when you come home?

Or

90 - 100 years of scrimping and saving just to make ends meet, and never really keeping enough money to be able to afford to retire comfortably. Spending more than 40 hours a week at work and stressing about it even when you're not there?

Living until you're 100 and being in hock to the Government your whole life, now that is a crock of dung.

Lons":1hhxxzup said:
...THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
More stupid than funny :lol:
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago...and our nation was one of the most prosperous in the world.
Complete nonsense. Nothing like as prosperous compared to the standard of living we all enjoy today. Virtually every measure of quality of life has improved enormously - just think of health for one.
Television Licence Tax / Road fund Tax / Car Parking Tax / Vehicle License Registration Tax / Vehicle Sales Tax /Fuel Tax / Petrol/Diesel Tax / - I wonder why the let them get away with it?

Civilisation.
100 years ago life was short and brutish for many people. Mum stayed at home to look after the kids - if they survived, child mortality was very high. They would have gone out to work from about 9 yrs old upwards, so that would have made mum's life better, if she hadn't died in childbirth already.
The 1st WW was just around the corner, followed by spanish flu (killed more than the war, followed by the great depression. TB, smallpox, other nasties, were commonplace. Slums in industrial areas were at their very worst.
etc. etc. yawn!

And, of course, the Yanks decided to call 10 to the power 9 a billion (a thousand million). The traditional European billion was 10 to the power 12, which was a million million. So we now get lots more billions, which sounds ever so much more impressive!

Karl":3fyy892u said:

IMO

Cheers

Karl

i'm with you on this one karl - how do people suppose the government of yesteryear paid for all its military campaigns and wars - they sure as hell didnt pay out of their own pocket.

and alcohol , tobaco, etc were taxed as were inheritance and income - the facts in the post are nowhere near acurate.

we also had no welfare state or safety net so although we might have had a bigger middle class those in the underclass or who were unfortunate enough to fall to it had a much worse life than they do now.

for example my great grandad had his legs blown off at the battle of the somme (driving an amunition cart that was hit by a shell), no unemployment benefit, no housing benefit nada - the landlord could have thrown them into the gutter with no comeback (but fortunately great grandma was in service and her employers were "good enough" to up her hours to cover the gap until he could start working as a shoemaker to bring in a bit of income.)

big soft moose":18nesrz3 said:
Karl":18nesrz3 said:

IMO

Cheers

Karl

i'm with you on this one karl - how do people suppose the government of yesteryear paid for all its military campaigns and wars - they sure as hell didnt pay out of their own pocket.

and alcohol , tobaco, etc were taxed as were inheritance and income - the facts in the post are nowhere near acurate.

we also had no welfare state or safety net so although we might have had a bigger middle class those in the underclass or who were unfortunate enough to fall to it had a much worse life than they do now.

for example my great grandad had his legs blown off at the battle of the somme (driving an amunition cart that was hit by a shell), no unemployment benefit, no housing benefit nada - the landlord could have thrown them into the gutter with no comeback (but fortunately great grandma was in service and her employers were "good enough" to up her hours to cover the gap until he could start working as a shoemaker to bring in a bit of income.)

BSM sorry to hear about your great grandad, but today is not much better. I have paid most of the taxes Lon mentions in my lifetime, but due to the post code lottery I still had to go private to get the drugs I needed to fight my first bout of cancer. We may live longer but all that means is that they have more time to screw money out of us. Sorry if I sound bitter but laying in a NHS hospital and paying for a bed that I have already paid for when they were deducted from my wages leaves a sour taste in your mouth, that even today is still there. :twisted:

Cheers

Mike

Your great grandad was robbed then Moose. Unemployment pay is about to celebrate its centenary.

Roy.

(and I can't vouch for accuracy).

Note disclaimer in my initial post!

I don't agree with it either but as a taxpayer who hates paying tax several times over on already taxed income, it definately does push a few buttons :(

Bob

the truth is, the more 'sophisticated' we get as a species, the more of a 'rip-roaring-c^nt-of it' we make' for more and more species-including our own, take a petrie dish, introduce a 'colony' and let it grow and grow, within time - the original is expired-replaced by another-rats or ants possibly

Prof N Orvecicus

Digit":19ug3rb2 said:
Your great grandad was robbed then Moose. Unemployment pay is about to celebrate its centenary.

Roy.

true - but it was (and for that matter is) only available to those able to work - in 1915 (or whenever my WW1 history is a litle hazy) there was not a decent pension for soldiers wounded in the trenches nor was there incapacity benefit or housing benefit to help those unable to work remain housed

mr grimsdale":3vo2xcwr said:
Lons":3vo2xcwr said:
...THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
More stupid than funny :lol:
Complete nonsense. Nothing like as prosperous compared to the standard of living we all enjoy today. Virtually every measure of quality of life has improved enormously - just think of health for one.
Television Licence Tax / Road fund Tax / Car Parking Tax / Vehicle License Registration Tax / Vehicle Sales Tax /Fuel Tax / Petrol/Diesel Tax / - I wonder why the let them get away with it?

civilization.
100 years ago life was short and brutish for many people. Mum stayed at home to look after the kids - if they survived, child mortality was very high. They would have gone out to work from about 9 yrs old upwards, so that would have made mum's life better, if she hadn't died in childbirth already.
The 1st WW was just around the corner, followed by spanish flu (killed more than the war, followed by the great depression. TB, smallpox, other nasties, were commonplace. Slums in industrial areas were at their very worst.
etc. etc. yawn!

Again, strangely, I find myself agreeing with Mr Grim. No such thing as 'the good old days'...just different days which were invariably worse for the vast majority - Rob

I wish people would stop saying strangely, I find myself agreeing with Mr Grim it seems to happen 3 or 4 times day.
It's not strange at all!

mr grimsdale":1fvc7rwg said:
I wish people would stop saying strangely, I find myself agreeing with Mr Grim it seems to happen 3 or 4 times day.
It's not strange at all!
:lol: - Rob

barkwindjammer":tf3kpkeg said:
the truth is, the more 'sophisticated' we get as a species, the more of a 'rip-roaring-c^nt-of it' we make' for more and more species-including our own, take a petrie dish, introduce a 'colony' and let it grow and grow, within time - the original is expired-replaced by another-rats or ants possibly

Prof N Orvecicus

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and sugget that you are not actually a professor are you? :wink:

Steve

And the good news - you heard it here first:
libDem.JPG

Lons":vl6670nu said:
(and I can't vouch for accuracy).

Note disclaimer in my initial post!

I don't agree with it either but as a taxpayer who hates paying tax several times over on already taxed income, it definately does push a few buttons :(

Bob
It'd be good if we had the option of paying no taxes. Of course in return we would have to give up the right to vote, use of public roads, health service, state education, protection of the armed forces, civil rights, police, emergency services etc etc a long list possible here.

hi all

Since there's been governments theres been taxes, it dont matter who you vote for, they will all rip you off, some throw a few more scraps to you than the others, there all there to line there own pockets first. Give it to you in one hand and snatch it back with the other hand . hc

No government hands out something that it hasn't first taken from someone.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back