How long for an Edge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Semi-resident at the moment :)

I went to Eternal Tools for the 0.25 and 45, CSM provided the other two grades I tried. 45 is wizard stuff for back flattening, btw. After extensive research it seems not all diamond pastes are equal and some work better on metal than others. It's not scientific by any means, but the stuff from Eternal seems to be more effective on metals than the CSM. Both came in "Applikator" syringes though, so I guess they're both from Kemet - just different varieties. Rutlands now have a whole kit of pastes and MDF substrate, but how effective it is I have no idea.

Cheers, Alf

Diamond lapping will produce an incredible edge, but it is a whole new can of worms to learn.

I find the edge from a 6,000 or 8,000 waterstone quite adequate.

At the risk of being repetitive & controversial, I think the best edge holding by far comes with A2 cryo blades. Hock, L-n, {no experience yet with Veritas non cryo A2}.

The only things the Victor (Clifton) blade have are thickness and hardness, the edge holding time is way behind A2 cryo.

The Japanese laminated Samurai blade is great except for it's lack of thickness.

These are personal opinions from experience in my teaching workshop
David C

David C":bixs31os said:
The Japanese laminated Samurai blade is great except for it's lack of thickness.

As long as the cap-iron and bedding are OK, I find it's thick enough. It's certainly a good deal thicker than a "stock" blade.

(unless it's changed - I've had mine a while)
http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~ ... 57#message

Eeek! 1999!

BugBear

David C":3txloey7 said:
Diamond lapping will produce an incredible edge, but it is a whole new can of worms to learn.
So are waterstones if you're not used to them. :)

The only things the Victor (Clifton) blade have are thickness and hardness
That's quite a lot in their favour, to be fair.

These are personal opinions from experience in my teaching workshop
Forgive me, but this is where I get a tiny nagging voice asking - how does that excellent experience relate to me? I don't use my planes every day, regrettably sometimes not even every week, and when I do it's on pretty undemanding stuff by and large. Do I really need A2 in that case? My feeling is no; its benefits are wasted on me. Now I can see anyone using them all day to earn a crust, or working with more evily-inclined timbers, then the answer would likely be very different. But for the majority of us, aren't we in danger of buying a super car to do the weekly shop because that's what Micheal Schumacher finds best? :D

Cheers, Alf

P.S. However, if I've failed to convince anyone that they should hold on to their Victor blades, you can send them to me for humane disposal at P.O. Box 666... :wink:

On the other hand, praps we should all be striving to be as good as Schumacher... :D

Scott":2beh0698 said:
On the other hand, praps we should all be striving to be as good as Schumacher... :D

Heh. How about as good as Ian Kirby, who famously "gets by" on Marples Chisels, Record planes, and other "basic" tools.

BugBear

Back