how do you treat your plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
in between uses do you...

A) lay it on its side, to protect the blade

B) prop it up from the front on a little stick, to protect the blade

C) put it sole down on you bench, blade extended

I ask because i am in the 'C' camp and cant see how doing that could be any worse for the blade than actually using it.

Tom

DomValente":8xxulmdx said:
Why never A ? DC

Dom

Because I usually have too much stuff on my bench, and I would stand more chance of nicking the iron if the plane were on its side...

Not saying that I'm right, I know that old-timers recommended (forcefully sometimes) using A, but in my case it's safer for me to go with B :wink:

DC

tombo":2h4m7uo5 said:
in between uses do you...

A) lay it on its side, to protect the blade

B) prop it up from the front on a little stick, to protect the blade

C) put it sole down on you bench, blade extended

I ask because i am in the 'C' camp and cant see how doing that could be any worse for the blade than actually using it.

Tom

C most of the time - I don't see it getting damaged on the wooden workbench if I put it down carefully (i've heard the arguments that a piece of grit might be exactly under the blade when one puts it down and damage the edge :roll: ).
Sometimes i go for B if a piece of wood isconveniently lying on the bench

Always B for me also, but it might not be a stick, it might be a sheet of paper or a couple of shavings, as my blade is only ever protruding by a couple of thou at most

"A" risks upsetting the lateral adjustment, and C just upsets me :wink:

Presumably the planes in question hanging around on top of a workbench are working tools, not decorative items arranged for display.

Also, I'd guess, as they're working tools they're on the bench to take shavings off wood, many of which end up on the bench top and scattered around the workpiece.

Dump the planes on the shavings any way you feel like. It works for me. Slainte.

I use C.

My planes 4 to 7 are stored in a wooden shelf, which I don't mind marring.

My reasoning is if I would prop them up on battens the casting would become convex. whish is very unlikely yo happed!

Anyways, I've tried the other methods and it doesn't work for me.

Have a good day

Bench planes, usually A

Block planes, usually B

Stanley No.5 of Ebay, any old way, it couldn't get any worse :twisted:

Back