How Do You Store Your Turning Tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to build a storage rack for gouges, skews, scrapers etc. And I'm looking for some inspiration! Any suggestions, photos?

I have a pedestal which I keep mine in. Two circles, one top, one larger one for stability on the floor, stands about 3' high and has holes for all my main tools. About 1' dia I have about 20 tools in it. I can have it where I want and move it around for cleaning etc.I'll do a picture if you want.

pete

Very ingenious idea! But I have quite a bit of unused wall space next to my lathe position, so i'm really looking for a wall mounted solution.

I had mine on the wall but found it collected dust and shavings and was overall really inconvenient. Remembering some of the workshop photos lately though there are a good few people on here who have wall mounted racks who no doubt will come back to you

pete

I have built a wall rack for mine.

4 lengths of 2x1 running vertically fixed to the wall with holes drilled at about 3" apart at a slight incline of about 5 degrees with 2.5" dowels glued into the holes. The tools rest across the dowels, the incline stops the tools rolling off.

You have spare wall space? I dream of spare wall space! I use magnetic bars screwed to what little empty wall space I had to store my commonly used turning tools. There is also a small wooden ledge under the magnetic bar (a tool-handle's length away) which supports the handles from the bottom as heavy tools can be inclined to slowly slide down a single magnetic bar.

I also have a wooden box-thing beside the lathe with half-circle cutouts on the ends for the tools I'm actually using (prevents them rolling away or the sharp ends banging together.)

For deeper storage (ie tools I'm not commonly using) I keep them in their plastic wallets in a long metal drawer under a bench.

tekno.mage

Magnetic bars plus shelf sounds perfect! Any suggestions on where to buy the magnetic bars?

I got some in Lidl/Aldi for a few euros each.

Some of the smaller tools get a little magnetized, not an issue, but my very thin parting tool sometimes sticks to my toolrest !

I use a 7 draw mechanics tool cabinet.

Small draws at the top for tools etc that progressively get larger to store chucks etc in the bottom ones.

S

Like this :lol:

114_1411.jpg

But its too small now so a upgrade is called for :p

Piece of 3/4" ply on three legs along rear of bench, with two rows of staggered holes of varying sizes. Wide skews/scrapers need the holes to be enlarged sideways to let in the blade.
Do sometimes wonder about the safety aspects of leaning over the lathe to change tools. Pete/Bodrighy's solution is probably the best and safest.

I find it much safer. Also far more convenient in a small workshop. I f you have loads of space to move around in I suppose it doesn't matter but this way I can have it where I need it or right out of the way of necessary.

I've used magnetic bars, without shelves, from Matthew at Workshop Heaven. Not the cheapest but they "suck" well

Mine are all on a board with tool clips holding the ferrules of the tools. I've been meaning to take a photo of this as the subject comes up from time to time. Initially I was concerned about damaging/scratching the ferrules but it all adds to the character of the toolsm, and they really don't scratch that much!!

I'll see if I can sort a photo tomorrow.

Cheers

Richard

I use magnetic strips from Ikea, £4.99 each and reasonably powerful. On the wall near my lathe, probably not the best place because I have to reach across the lathe bed.

Nevertheless I usually have my wits about me and I do not reach when the lathe is spinning!

Ideally they would be in a stand on castors but I do not have the room!

Regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg (UK)":21kbfjly said:
Ideally they would be in a stand on castors but I do not have the room!

Regards, Peter.

That's why I built my carousel. No room, It takes up very little room and I can put it wherever is handiest.

Pete

Bodrighy":v9wxrdts said:
I find it much safer. Also far more convenient in a small workshop. I f you have loads of space to move around in I suppose it doesn't matter but this way I can have it where I need it or right out of the way of necessary.

One question, how would you accomodate 25 different gouges, scrapers etc. on such a small footprint?

I can understand the methodology and think it is brilliant, but just trying to fit it into my own shop without falling over it appears to be a no-go for me! Perhaps I'm just plain awkward!

Regards, Peter.

The tools i use the most are kept out in a rack on the wall to the righthand side of the headstock,so i am not reaching over the HS,and the tools i don't use very often are kept in a drawer in my sharpening station.
My hollowing rig is held in place on the roof space of my shop.
There is a piccy that you can see part of where they are kept in the members lathes section.

Latest posts

Back