How do you prevent furniture scratching flooring?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjerbill

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of fitting an engineered oak floor. I am concerned about dining chairs in particular scratching it. Anyone used protectors that they can recommend. I was thinking of self adhesive felt but the ones I have used in the past didn't stand up to much use. I have also considered nail in nylon gliders, anyone used them? Any other means I haven't thought of, please advise.

Bill

Sorry no wood but the nylon ones work fine on vinyl in our kitchen.
The felt ones were always coming off.

Rod

I use UHMW Plastic pads epoxied on to large furniture pieces as they protect the floor and let you move things very easily due to it's very low friction. same stuff people use as slides/runners in Tbar

I've had good results with the nylon glides (i forget the exact name but fleabay is awash with them). They're light blue with adhesive backs and a screw to secure them in place and come in 1 and 2" diameters so may be too big for dining chair legs though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The best method I have found is to take an old tennis ball and a hollow punch, punch out discs of around 12mm, and glue the rubber side to the bottom of the legs. Sometimes you need to glue twice, as the glue can soak into the end grain. These seem to last much longer than any of the pads I've bought for the purpose, and, if you play tennis and have a cheap set of hollow punches and a hammer, it's a very cheap solution.

I fitted engineered oak floor about 4 years ago. Use self adhesive felt pads on dining room chairs & table. Heavy furniture with castors, made wooden castor cups with same pads on the cups.

Not had any damage at all even when the Great Grandchildren move the chairs around.

I have changed the pads once in that period, just peel them off and replace. Not experienced any falling off, before fitting just make sure the legs/feet are clean

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will try felt pads first but will take on board about cleaning first, that hadn't crossed my mind! I do like the tennis ball idea, ( I love thinking outside the box).

Bill

We have terra-cotta floor tiles and they are quite soft. I have used the blue plastic jobbies and have found that they don't scratch the floor.

How are you going to seal the oak? If it were me I would use hard wax oil. It's as tough as anything and usedon hotel reception wooden flooring. So it can't be bad. Both Rustins and Leiberon do it and being an oil it doesn't scratch like a varnish type finish. I have used it on a beech worktop about a year back and it still looks good, no marke, arart from the odd dint and not much will stop that.

Hi thegsey,

I have ordered some of the nail in glides, the largest they have available is 20 mm, is this the size you used? What did you use to re-stick the detached pads?

Bill

Back