How do you like yours?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBen

Established Member
Reaction score
No relation to woodworking what so ever but hey.

I spend 45+ hours a week on the road and as such take sandwiches everyday.
As much as I'd like a sausage/bacon nutty every day, it would get expensive.

So..... What do you have in yours?

Inspire me......

.....or..... Inspire me to drop hints to SWMBO....

Shhh...... Don't tell her I said that.

Recently I have been favouring the crusty loaf from Morrisons, sliced and taking a little soft cheese (nice gorgonzola, waterloo, that sort of thing) or pork rillettes to slather on at work.
Failing that, you cant go wrong with lime pickle, ham, lettuce, (butter), and a little strong cheddar.

Choice of bread? Granary, sourdough or ciabatta.

Adam

lettuce with brie,

avocado, strong cheddar and lettuce (the avocado takes the place of butter in all these)

avocado and marmite :oops:

avocado and jamon serrano

jamon serrano, cheese and a bit of olive oil on the bread

philadelpha, lettuce and walnuts

tomato and cheese, especially blue cheese, and lettuce to make it crunchy

No butter in any of these, don't need it with the other ingredients, all in crusty bread, baguette or ciabatta

I'm hungry now, have to go and raid the larder.....

When I was a young ne'erdowell , I hung about an old Italians billiard hall. The proprietor , a mr. Rose, taught me of this sandwich . On a fresh Pannini roll place the following .
Genoa Salami
Provalone cheese
mortadella
Hot Cappicola
Lettuce (your choice here)
tomato
Mustard
This will in no manner help your budget amigo , but , it is a lovely sandwich. I'm not sure why it tastes as good as it does , something about this combo just "works" . You can trust me on this.

One I like is smoked mackerel 'pate'. Just use a fork to mash smoked mackerel into a mush with olive oil or mayonaise.
Tasty, and cheaper than the supermarket fillings.

I make a batch of Cheese and picked finger chilli's bung them in the freezer and take a pack out each day, to make it interesting I load one up with loads of chillies and play Russian roulette not knowing when it will take my head off.

Pete

Turkey, crispy bacon and avocado with a dash of mayonnaise on your choice of bread.

Smoked salmon with soft cheese.

Ham with sliced pickled beetroot.

M&S do some wicked ones like Crayfish & Rocket?

Rod

heatherw":fme3qqtx said:
avocado, strong cheddar and lettuce (the avocado takes the place of butter in all these)

Is there anything more disgusting that you put in your mouth than avocado? It's the only thing that makes me retch when I taste it. It has the texture and taste of soft soap.

Harbo":38qi0o1r said:
Yes bananas!

Rod

Having read the thread earlier on, I was reading the updates from the last post. I was in full agreement about banana sandwiches being fantastic, but then realized that was the polar opposite of what you meant!

A lot of great suggestions there.. And some that turn my stomach.

Some of the ingredients I've never heard of, mainly from Ianemaux.
Maybe they are called something different in the uk.

Will pass (subtly) info onto HID......

Well , he was a VERY old world Italian gent was old Rosie. A Genovese who slipped back into the mother tongue at the least provocation , colourful type. Yet the Italian ingredients are a must on "The Sandwich". For a goodly while after I moved to my present and extremely rural area I missed the variety of cultural foods from my previous life in Toronto Ontario. I hope you will try what I did and keep searching for ingredients . As the foodies are fond of pointing out "it's all about the ingredients". I got lucky on that score. You see , my wife is a rather good fine dining chef who has worked at some of the best restaurants in the area. I get to eat remarkably well by anyones standards because she really is very skilled. If you have any Italian markets about , then the butcher will be able to supply all I have listed , they are fairly widespread staples in the Italian community.

As the colder weather creeps in I tend to crave fatty and higher calorie stuff (read junk), especially if I'm at work in the freezing cold all pineapple day. A microwave pizza in between two bits of bread does me for a few hours.

Stay away from kerrygold spreadable when making your sandwich, it doesn't spread - ruins a nice bit of bread. In fact it pineappled me off so much I was thinking about putting a review of it in the buying advice forum, if it was any worse it would come in a blue box with white writing.

whiskywill":2rpqcsyf said:
heatherw":2rpqcsyf said:

Is there anything more disgusting that you put in your mouth than avocado? It's the only thing that makes me retch when I taste it. It has the texture and taste of soft soap.

You must have been a chicken in one of your past lives, Whiskywill, apparently avocado is poisonous for them.

I'm not accustomed to eating soft soap, so I don't know what it tastes like, but I think avocado is delicious, properly ripened, there are different kinds which taste completely different, and my favourite way of eating them is just split in half with a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. The ones you get in the UK aren't usually very good, so maybe you haven't tasated a proper one. Or maybe it's just one of those things, my brother has the same problem with parsnips.

It's avocado season here now. 1.50€ per kilo. And they're even good for you! :D

Latest posts

Back