How do you get one of these back on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you get this washer back on to the end of the handle?? It is defeating me at the moment.

Attachments

• camlock.jpg
    camlock.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,358
Even when using circlip pliers I normally do everything underneath a tea towel or similar. This prevents the circlip from flying to the furthest point in your workshop and hiding in a crevice, to lie unfound for ever (or hitting you in the face). I know this means that you are working by feel rather than seeing everything, but, believe me it is worth it.

Also check that you did not bend or damage the circlip when getting it off. O new one only costs a few pence and can save a lot of trouble fitting the old one back - in fact it may not go back at all if badly deformed.

In the absense of any circlip pliers then it is possible in an open situation such as that to expand them enough with a pair of long nosed pliers . Not as easy as you have to pull the plier handles apart as opposed to compressing but is achievable.

Also in an open situation such as that you can at the expense of some temp discomfort to the fingers locate the one end of the clip on the shaft and feed the the clip round until it's clamped on the shaft then slide it along to the groove with a scrap of wood or screw driver blade.

As a matter of interest how did it come adrift? if it was in use then I suspect that the clip may be distorted (expanded slightly) and may not sit tight in the groove.
If this is the case you may get away with closing it it up slightly before fitting back with pliers rather than having to find a new one of the correct diameter.

2s up for the long nosed pliers if you don't have the proper thing. The clip doesn't look deformed or sprung from the photo.

A couple of pair of Mole grips may get it open enough to get it on the shaft and then, as Chas said, drift it along to the slot with a screwdriver.

2s up for a cloth over it too :oops: :oops: :oops:

if you have a box spanner, or socket set, that will go over the rod you can place the circlip onto the top of the rod with the opening at the bottom (a dop of grease will hold it in place) then place the box spanner against the circlip, add pressure and as the scoket goes over the rod it will push the circlip along it - famous last words that doing it this way the thing can't spring anywhere!

I have loads of circlip pliers, but unless I wanted to avoid marking/scoring the rod I would use the above process.

I do agree with Chas, the bigger issue is why did it come off - when they come off 'of their own accord' once, they tend to do it over and over again!

circlip plyers - a 5er at bnq or other hardware store,

or if lazy ( like me )

you can grind down the ends of spare long nose pliers to fit.............. when in emergency - ( bandsaw tension spring replacement )

1. Fetch can of beer from fridge.
2. Get another pair of hands.
3. Put some wire in each of the holes.
4. Pull wire to open up clip.
5. second pair of hands engages clip.
6. Open can of beer & drink.

Andy

I'd go with any of the above statements but remember (believe it or not) there is a correct way for these to go on.

They are punched out of a sheet of steel and so have one square-edged face and one round-edged face - the square-edged face should go towards the end of the shaft in this case (as the clip is presumably meant to be stopping the shaft from sliding out of the casting) although if there are other bits to go on not shown in the photo this might not be the case

If it was on the wrong way round this might be the reason for it coming loose - the round edge to the (wrong) face can act as a little ramp to help the clip come off, P

P.S. In our trade these come into the general bracket of small fixings referred to a "Ping-Fu*%its" (Onomatopoeia at its finest!)

Pliers bought for 4 quid at local hardware store or he who has everything that you could ever want. Works fine now. No idea how it came off. I was lucky that I found it on the workshop floor, luckily I had swept up the day before, all the suggestions are great but the Andy's get my vote, I would say 3 people, two to do the job while I supervise with a cold beer. :eek:ccasion5:

Elaine, you can come and supervise jobs like this in my workshop and i will supply the beer :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Plus, I have a pair (?) of circlip pliers the have three grips. One is for the holding, one is for opening your type of circlip and one is for compressing the internal type. I am sure that Aunt Mary won't notice that I liberated them even though they have her initials on them? (Aunt Mary is also th enitials of Air Ministry and for the un-initiated and they were stamped on all the R.A.F. tools) They are a cracking bit of kit and don't throw bits all over the place. You can't afford that on an aircraft :roll: :roll: :roll:

John
the south of france sounds like an option at the moment, only if its warmer than here. It was -7 this morning here on the Cheshire plain. no need to refrigerate the beer!

Elaine, don't jump down this way too quickly. We have a couple of weeks last Feb at sub zero and a few of those daze were -11ºC with a wind chill of -17 !!!!!!! Not totally normal, but with global warming :wink:

At the mo we expect about -2, but not for long and it's normally dry!

The method of a socket just a tad larger than the shaft and, as has been pointed out by PJM, put the 'rounded' edge of the circlip against the shaft and gently tap the socket with a good whack from a hammer and it should ride up over the chanfered edge of the shaft and you can tap it until it drops into the slot. Just make sure that you have a stop for the other end of the shaft so it doesn't dissapear off into the middle distance when you whelt it one!

Just remember the old saying "where there's a will, there's a bunch of relatives". Sorry, getting a bit carried away there. Just got back from the inaugaration of a new wine 'cave' for one of our friends and wine producers 'hic' !

This guy http://www.ubifrance.com/uk/Posts-5803- ... ompetition

Latest posts

Back