How do you do it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only ever done DT by hand and on only one project. 7 Drawers with DTs front and back.
Used a jap saw with the veritas guide. For the waste I just used chisels.
The wood was birch ply and the results, although not achieved quickly were pretty good.

Andy

Tony,

it's in no way my technique: I'm scarcely the first person to think of it. Nonetheless, I'll be happy to post a picture once I get my hands on my father's digital camera.

Of course, knowing my luck, the pictured dovetails will be the worst I've ever cut :roll:

Jeremy

Quick 'n' dirty example (and here) to give the idea. It's one way of discovering I didn't level up the bench properly after the weekend's workshop shuffling - sawing accurately on a wobbling bench is torture. I'd forgotten just how huge a difference it makes. :( The second cut on the left was a bit better, but it all went pear-shaped again with the coping saw. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Now you can post your DTs in safety, Jeremy. They can't be worse than that. :oops:

Alf":4nt1onpz said:
P.S. Now you can post your DTs in safety, Jeremy. They can't be worse than that. :oops:

Wait, I've got some worse ones on my current project!

Adam

Alf, with reference to the pencil line in the second picture. I am glad I am not the only one who can never find a square that reaches the full width of the board I am working on :wink:

Andy

Chris, I do use a wheeled gauge but after Alf's excellant review of wheeled gauges last week I am surprised a pencil was used in her photos - I surpose it was just for clarity?

Andy

Alf's come up trumps again :D . And rendered me obsolete on the advice-giving front :oops: .

I haven't cut any DTs for months, but I was very pleased with them at the time. Doubtless it'll now take hours for me to get them back up to my previous standard.

Jeremy

J.A.S":19az4nzq said:
And rendered me obsolete on the advice-giving front :oops: .
Sorry. :oops: It's just I was there with the camera anyway... :oops: :oops: :oops:

dedee":19az4nzq said:
Alf, with reference to the pencil line in the second picture. I am glad I am not the only one who can never find a square that reaches the full width of the board I am working on :wink:
Ah, hum. Erm. I have lots of gauges, even a pencil gauges. Quite a few squares too. I did say it was quick 'n' dirty - I used the old dodge of just holding a pencil and using my finger as a fence along the edge... Lucky to get away with it really, 'cos that end grain isn't even planed. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Failing miserably to justify most of the tools she owns. I knew a Tite-Mark would just be wasted on me... :roll:

Alf, dear lady, spare your blushes: no harm done :D .

Oh, by the way, how do you do that so-and-so-wrote-plus-a-quotation-in-blue-ink-thing?

Jeremy

J.A.S":daned15c said:
Oh, by the way, how do you do that so-and-so-wrote-plus-a-quotation-in-blue-ink-thing?
Code:
[quote="J.A.S"]Oh, by the way, how do you do that so-and-so-wrote-plus-a-quotation-in-blue-ink-thing?[/quote]
Like that. :D

Sears Craftsman here with a Sears router. Rarely used though as it's a pain to set up!

My best results have been achieved on my Scrollsaw using tabletilt and a good blade, ive used my Perform Jig a few times but always seem to create some sparks :oops:

I have no idea what most of you are talking about? I have only ever made DT's when I was at school and they were lousy. I do own a router jig but have never used it (dont really know how yet) but even so this gives a different kind of cut doesnt it (round ends)?
Could some brave (and bored) soul run through the various aspects of these tools for those of us who are a little hard of thinking?

Duiker-you want to start the Rat Wars up again, huh? :lol:
My 2p's worth...
I bought an Axminster dovetail jig when I began WW'ing. Interesting little thing, soon get bored of it and dovetails look totally mechanical.
Tried cutting them by hand and realised I had lots of skills lacking....
Much later on I bought an Incra-now that allows you to cut some fantasic dovetails, as well as other joints, etc. Big thumbs up!
The hand tool bug has been bitting harder and harder the last couple of years and Rob Cosman inspired the hell out of me to get stuck in again. Now I am getting somewhere! Practise and a bit more practise makes hand cut dovetails more do-able.
Then I bought a Rat last week... :? After watching the DVD I am hooked-the Rat IS great for dovetails (especially with their slinky cutters).
So, in the House of Philly-Special projects get handcut dovetails, anything else gets Ratted/Incra'd.
Cheers
Philly :D

Have to agree with Pjilly. Watch Rob Cosman make a dovetail joint and you'll never want to use the router for them again (except for that 12 drawer chest :lol: )

Latest posts

Back