How do I control the speed of a permanent magnet synchronous AC motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Always enjoying a challenge I've decided to make my own 12" Disc sander as some time ago I bought an old but serviceable induction motor, it had been previously used as a burnisher. Then last week our 5 year old Bosch washing machine sprung a bad leak so it was decided we would buy a new one. Aha I thought, I'll whip out the motor and it will be more powerful than the said old motor for which I now have a speed controller bought on Amazon after seeing this video TDA1085c washing machine motor speed controller: first look and wiring to motor for grindstone - YouTube

Once I'd removed the motor I realised it was a permanent magnet synchronous AC motor, very smart and at 526W twice the power of my old one but I was instantly bemused as to how I could electronically control the speed from its rated 16755 rpm to 1450rpm. I studied motor theory in the mid 70's but my career saw me quickly into the IT industry and things have clearly moved on a bit. I now know that controlling the speed of these motors involves some sophisticated electronic sorcery.
20210131_195934.jpg
20210131_195506.jpg

If there is a someone who knows the answer or could point me in the right direction of a suitable cheapish controller I'd be very grateful.

Back