How about a combi?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Me again, :oops:

After much research on t'interweb and some really useful advice on machinery from all the lovely peeps on here, I am now thinking of a combination machine. This one seems to tick all the boxes

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod784596/

Kity do one for £200ish less, but it only has an alloy table and less than 1/4 of the weight.

What do you think? I know it's double the money than buying a cheapish planer/thicknesser, table saw and router table, but it should fulfill more than my requirements. I quite like the idea of a spindle moulder as it gives me so much more scope and hopefully accuracy. I do also like the idea of a cast iron bed too, again for a more professional finish.

With space being a major factor, if I put it on a trolley, could be the answer?

Andy

Looks good (on screen). Is this another Minimax with Axminster badge? It looks similar (in part) to my LAB300, which is ace quality, but has a few minor flaws.
Mine has drop-down castors and a detachable towing handle. These aren't much good. If mobility was important I'd buy a pallet trolley

370KG is going to be a puppy to move around so I would want to make sure it is easy to move if space is limited.

Also the 65mm table-saw cutting depth just seems not enough to me for a machine of this heft let alone the 45mm 45 degree cut. I would want at least 75mm if not 100mm. This is not only for ripping larger timbers but for use cross-cutting and mitreing so as to not need a separate mitre saw as well but if you think 65mm is enough then fine, but I would hate to buy an expensive machine and find later it is not suitable for any tasks if my needs change?

The planer seems nice with the large 10" cut but a lot of people here wish they went for separates with regards to planers and thicknessers so there is that to think about also.

Also if your planning on ripping boards then that sliding carriage looks quite large so will it fit in your garage with an 8 by 4 on it? If not it will be a waste?

I may sound negative on the combi but remember it is just my opinion as I have never used one. I have however bought stuff and then found it unsuitable so I like to think of all the pro's and con's on an item especially one that costs £2030 delivered. You still need a good dust/chippings extractor to go with it and this will be another couple of hundred.

If space were not an issue I would go for separate machines but if limited I would have a think on how this large machine will be used. Between ripping to planing/thicknessing will it need constant shuffling around?

Steve.

It would drive me insane, unless I really really really had to get a combi I wouldn't. All the mode changing would drive me insane. As someone starting out a Spindle Moulder isn't something your going to want. The non pro user probably will never need anything more than a router table.

It is a good deal, but for the same money you could get a CT150, a decent thicknesser, a Axy Ts200 and a decent router table with some shopping around.

I have the very machine and I love it. Well worth the money. I haven't got enough room for separates so I decided to go this route. Getting it into the workshop was a task. Wait until you here this saga.
Bought the machine ex demo. 10% discount + no delivery charge. went to Axi and took all the lose bits off. Then took the planer section off. Couple of bolts and a bit of wiring = easy. Got help and a pallet truck to get it into my transit van. Drove home.
Built a ramp from side of van to hall. Built a trolly with four heavy castors. trolleyed it, in two pieces, through the house, back door, over decking, down another home made ramp, down path into work shop = on my own. Lots of sweating, swearing, nearly lost it at one point. Job done £1700 or there abouts.
A few bits were missing Axi sorted out straight away. I put a different piece of metal for the sliding carriage to run on and can now cut 1200 mm +. It takes a few mins to change from planer to thicknesser. No problems bearing in mind it allows me to have all the machines in one in a small space. The planner fence uses two screws + allen key to attach a bracket to secure the fence. I will prob upgrade to two bristol levers to speed this up.

Latest posts

Back