Hotrod your Lie-Nielsen #60 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
With the stunning new Clifton block plane on view, I thought that I would post some info on an Australian mod for the LN 60 1/2. I have one on mine, and it does work as intended.

I spent last weekend at the Perth Wood Show, and had a bit of fun demoing planing and sharpening for LN Australia. One of the bits I came away with was an adjuster modification by Bob Howard for the #60 1/2 (it may be used on some other LN planes as well). See: http://www.henryeckert.com/index.php?ro ... th=290_316

Notice anything different?

LN-Block1_zpsi637ldle.jpg

Well, the adjuster mod uses a bearing ...

LN-Block2_zps1cpbjpgm.jpg

You can see the original adjuster alongside ..

LN-Block3_zps6lkt245u.jpg

The result is a much smoother adjustment of the blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I wonder how it works with their low angle jack plane? I know LN are looking at how to improve the adjuster on that plane as it has a tendency to laterally adjust the plane when moving the blade forward.

Wow, this adjuster looks great and just the thing for the LN skew block plane. I always have real trouble adjusting the cutting depth without shifting the blade out of alignment on that one. Just ordered 4 to fit to the skew, large shoulder, low angle block and jack planes.

Thanks for posting this Derek! =D>

mouppe":304lsx6l said:
I wonder how it works with their low angle jack plane? I know LN are looking at how to improve the adjuster on that plane as it has a tendency to laterally adjust the plane when moving the blade forward.

This is also true of the Record #44.

BugBear

I wish my low angle jack had the same adjuster as my low angle smoother. With sever tendinitis in my hands I find it difficult to operate the adjuster without loosening the cap iron. I was trying to figure out why it isn't the same mechanism as the smoother, but maybe it's a Lie Nielsen secret! :mrgreen:

Fromey":cc3jsbe3 said:
Henrey Eckert will be noticing a spike in UK orders now as I've ordered one also. Hope they don't run out!

Ha ha ha. Yep I've just ordered mine also.

Jonny

Just received a batch of these adjusters from Oz to the UK and they are a good upgrade to the LN planes that they fit (which is quite a few). The bearings aren't the smoothest and feel a bit gritty but, once fitted, feel OK. The bearing dust cover had dropped off one in transit so I flushed that one out and repacked it with grease. It felt a lot smoother after doing that. I was trying to figure out why the cover had dropped off and there is a tiny circlip holding it on (or at least there should be). Two out of the four I received were missing this circlip so check yours when they arrive.
For info, I got hit for tax and paid £12.93 VAT on four with the £8 Royal Mail handling fee on top making £20.93 in total. It'd be interesting to know if those who have imported just one are also getting charged or if it's coming through duty free? Anything imported over £15 in value gets charged and this adjuster is hovering around that value. If it is over that threshold then you'd be looking at around £11 to pay with the VAT and handling fee which is a bit steep. How have others faired?
Cheers, mark

Stickwhittler":37f7nwv5 said:
The bearings aren't the smoothest and feel a bit gritty but, once fitted, feel OK. The bearing dust cover had dropped off one in transit ........ I was trying to figure out why the cover had dropped off and there is a tiny circlip holding it on (or at least there should be). Two out of the four I received were missing this circlip

And you paid $29 each for these?? :shock:

I like Bugbear's vice screw example, but this sounds like a solution to a non-existent problem. Sorry to sound like Jacob :?

DTR":2uobpfzp said:
Stickwhittler":2uobpfzp said:
The bearings aren't the smoothest and feel a bit gritty but, once fitted, feel OK. The bearing dust cover had dropped off one in transit ........ I was trying to figure out why the cover had dropped off and there is a tiny circlip holding it on (or at least there should be). Two out of the four I received were missing this circlip

And you paid $29 each for these?? :shock:

I like Bugbear's vice screw example, but this sounds like a solution to a non-existent problem. Sorry to sound like Jacob :?

Surely you would need to find a way to attach the bearing to the adjuster nut? It would however work when advancing but not when retracting the blade. The difference with the example identified by BB is that the bearing remains constant on the arbour i.e between the handle and face plate of the vice..................or have I missed something??

I bought one and thankfully didn't get slugged with any import duties. A pure vanity I admit as it does indeed make adjustment a bit easier, but nothing to write home about. Perhaps I'd get better mileage out of using in on a different plane as opposed to my LN 60.5.

Back