Hot off the press...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
This is now released--and it works a treat...

Skew Registration Jig for the MK.II honing guide...

05m0903-inset1b.jpg

Take care, Mike
back to work...

i think brimarc are at an exhibition in the midlands, but if it is
hot of the press, then it will still be on the boat somewhere i guess.

especially if what we now know about the canadian postal service is true.
we just got returned a parcel sent before christmas. talked to the client,
and they say it never got to their front door, although someone claims to
have received it and returned it. and we think royal mail is a problem????

anyway the gadget looks good, as do the new corner clamps lee valley are selling. see american woodworker latest issue in uk.

paul :wink:

Very, erm, angle-y. Sheesh, all those skew blades I measured for them and they never even told me about it. I feel unloved. :( :lol:

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":k9jz9law said:
Shall I tell him I've sworn off LN :wink:
Methinks you doth protest this too much - that's twice in as many days. Trying to convince yourself...? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

MikeW":3eqm0l7b said:
This is now released--and it works a treat...

Skew Registration Jig for the MK.II honing guide...

05m0903-inset1b.jpg

Take care, Mike
back to work...

Hmm. I'm not convinced. I find that the tolerances involved in working on skewed blades are so darn tight that aligning to a marked line just isn't near enough.

The only way I've found that works is to use a NON registering (narrow or crowned wheel) honing guide, and (before removing the blade from the plane) note if the shavings are (currently) unequal across the width,

In essence the blade is guided by its own cutting edge. If the shaving is currently uniform, I do my best to apply even pressure, but if the shavings are (slightly...) tapered in thickness across their width I lean a little on the relevant side (being careful not to create a cambered edge as I do so :)

This process works to very close tolerances, which I believe to be neccessary if you're trying to take uniform shavings in the 2-5 thou region.

BugBear

waterhead37":2shy40sa said:
Paul,
I use your approach but find I can do it very well with the Veritas Mark 1 guide.

Which shows how subtle the mods are, if they can be done even with a well-registered (wide guide wheel) jig.

BugBear

I wasn't aware until now that the skew blade jig (for the LV Honing Guide MkII) was in production until Mike showed a picture of it here.

I was one of a few who provided feedback to LV on it. Mine is a pre-production version which, I understand, was due for some minor revisions - essentially to reduce the complexity of the markings.

I really like the concept. In the pre-production garb, it worked very well for about 90% of the angles I would use. Why 90% and not 100%? Mainly because the markings for the more acute angles were harder to see clearly - but this was one of the areas for revision.

I used it for blades for the Stanley #46, Stanley #79, #140, skew chisels, amongst others. It was pretty easy to set up and use - even more so with blades with established skew angles, in other words it was easy to replicate existing angles. It was harder to set up for angles that were just outside the common parameters, such as an angle of 69 degrees instead of 70 degrees. No doubt, for such angles, one would require a template anyway, and this should be easy-enough to use in association with the skew jig.

I have no knowledge whether the limitations I noted in my feedback to LV have been dealt with, but I assume that they would have been for a production release. If I get my hands on a production guide I will feel more comfortable in reporting my conclusions.

Bottom line - I am confident it will be an essential purchase if you have the LV Honing Guide Mk II and skew blades to hone.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Philly":1ycczc8r said:
Thnks for the heads up, Mike!
Handy for the #140 crew :wink:
Philly :D

You mean you don't have a 140, shame on you.

Derek

Thanks for the good explanation, wonder when they'll appear in the UK.

Waka
Oh please :roll: Of COURSE I have a #140-why, don't you? :twisted:
Philly :D
Starting another Waka on-line order..... :lol:

Hmm. I'm not convinced. I find that the tolerances involved in working on skewed blades are so darn tight that aligning to a marked line just isn't near enough.
...Bottom line - I am confident it will be an essential purchase if you have the LV Honing Guide Mk II and skew blades to hone.
I too used the pre-production versions on every skewed blade I could lay my hands on, including carving tools [just for giggles and the challenge of an exteremely low angle].

The first version had no real markings, but I could always register against the fence once the angle was known. There were some issues involving use, but it proved the concept. The second version, with some markings, the version Derek used, worked on every small and large blade I had, at least when I used a non-modified lower carriage [I cambered the roller on my original one].

While planes, especially vintage ones and wood planes with skewed blades, are not often at some "factory perfect" skewed angle, once the skewed plane blade or other edge tool's skew is known, I wrote it on the tool using an indelible marker. This made repeating the set up an absolutely repeatable excercise.

For instance, 3 #140s. Two of them agreed in the angle, but one did not. Once the odd one's angle was known, I could pop out the blade, set it up with the MK.II using this skew registration jig nearly as fast as if it were a square blade in the "regular" registration jig and home it with repeatable accuracy.

Isn't that what a jig like this is for? Repeatable accuracy?

Take care, Mike

Alf":2orm7gxd said:
Very, erm, angle-y. Sheesh, all those skew blades I measured for them and they never even told me about it. I feel unloved. :( :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hah -

Your token of appreciation should be in the mail.... :roll: :shock:

.... woulda got to it sooner, but we're still working on the smaller handles for the other doodah..... :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

after all we have read about your problems with canada post, rob are you sure it will get to alf??????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

as usual looks good though,
damn you another hole in the wallet :lol: :lol:

paul

So Martin, you could do a review then...? :twisted:

Rob Lee":1sutctal said:
<snippage of gratuitous teasing and dropping of hints>
I don't actually mind being ignored, over-looked and shunned :roll: :wink: - bearing in mind I'm more than a little behind schedule in that other matter it seemed more than fair enough :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf
'Suppose I could try it out on my nice set of skews for my refurbished 46.....
Will have a go if Canada post performs and C&E don't bankropt me!
regards
Martin

Back