Horse Chestnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I happened to see a roadside notice this morning "Warning Tree Cutting". So immediately turned up the road it was on and got lots of Horse Chestnut logs. Does this turn well. I have never used it. Unfortunately there were no Burrs so it looks as though it could be quite an uninteresting wood. Any comments? :?:

Only turned one piece of it - the main timber is quite bland,but mine had a couple of bark inclusions,and several patches of black streaking,which gave it a nice look.Sands and finishes well also.

Found the picture now:-
Conker.jpg

Andrew

IMHO there is no such thing as an uninteresting wood. If it has no real grain or figuring you can make it interesting by turning something more exotic. Sycamore is often extremely plain but when used with a contrasting dark wood can look really good. At worst, leave it on the ground for a few months or in a bag with a load of manure and let it spalt, experiment and see what happens.

Plus it was free and that alone makes it worth having.

Pete

I haven't turned any HC,but looking at Andrews piece i'd be happy if i had one or two pieces like that from it. :D
Just make the most of it.Cut it to size and seal those ends asap.
As Pete says it's all free :D
Paul.J.

Back