Horse Chestnut Burr Form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
About 18 months ago a nice man called Paul from just up the road said to me "I have had a tree come down in my garden, would you like some?" . Obviously I said Yes please! I went round to find a large Horse Chestnut had come down and smashed down Paul's 7 foot high brick and flint wall! I had a large 6 foot section of trunk with lots off burr in it that Paul helped me to slab up with my Alaskan mill and I also took lots of small burrs from other parts of it. He wouldn't take any money for it, so now that the burrs are nicely dried I am going to give this first piece made from them to him.

Comments etc welcomed.

Edit: Forgot to say its just under 5 inches tall, and just a good old sanding sealer and woodwax22 finish.

Very nice - not usually a fan of "hollow forms", but that is an excellent way to display the burr pattern.
Slightly off topic, what saw and chain do you use on your Alaskan mill? I'm part way (very small part!) through building one and wonder whether it's worth getting a rip chain for the Stihl 048.

Thanks Dick, I am using a Husqvarna 570. I use a standard chain, as long as its sharp it seems to go through just fine, it does make a lot of dust though!! :lol:

A beautiful piece of timber, which you have shown off to best advantage with the elegant shape. The dark timber around the opening really sets it off well.

Ian

As above!. Very nice piece indeed, I'm sure the recipient will be over the moon with that!.

G'day johnny and dick,

I have done a boat load of slabs with the Alaskan mill here in BC, both hardwoods and pines and firs, and with the chain filed for ripping it makes a big difference plus it is easier on the saw. I use a Shihl 090 and run it flat out so I over mix the oil (about 40:1). When the chain is filed for ripping you start getting the big long streamers again.
I normally use an older chain and just file it straight across, and I touch it up every couple of slabs. Be careful when cutting crotches, I found a horse shoe once and have heard of chains being encapsulated over the years.

trevor

Trevor, how much faster would you say a straight across sharpened chain is over one sharpened standard?
I imagine that beast of a Stihl laughs at most timber!

Back