hopping mad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Took my faulty doro 810 to the car phone warehouse and they said there is no warranty with the doro phones and with other phones its 30 days replacement and six months repair. I then said what about my consumer rights they said I do not have any after six months as they are above the trading standards laws. To cut a long story short they told me to go or they would call the police as did their head office. The phone is 7 months old and doro are going to pick it up from me and fix it.

But carphone warehouse said as it’s a doro it has no warranty with them and if it was 2 months old they would not fix it and i would have to sort it out with doro, they said if they replaced all the faulty phones they sold they would go broke

I thought although this is based on no real awareness than everything came with a 12 month warranty? I do know that the law says something along the lines of an item should last as long as it should be expected to. Ie you buy a TV at £1000 then it should die after 18 months.

Talk to your local trading standards office. CW are responsible for selling you something that is of reasonable quality, ie will not break down in a short time. It is their responsibility alone as a retailer.

It was my understanding that as part of EU, everyone has a 2 year guaantee on goods purchased. The one year guarantee that is normally given has to be extended under European Law and I understand this has been tested by others. Trading Standards should know about this.

I told them of my rights and i told there head office of my rights and they kept saying at carphone warehouse nobody has any rights and there word is final and if i did not leave they would call the police and have me removed, i said good call the police, they then said they would have to phone head office before getting the police involved. In the end i gave up

wizard":27kc9k8e said:
I told them of my rights and i told there head office of my rights and they kept saying at carphone warehouse nobody has any rights and there word is final and if i did not leave they would call the police and have me removed, i said good call the police, they then said they would have to phone head office before getting the police involved. In the end i gave up

That's quite amazing. I don't think I've recently heard of such bad manners by a retail outlet.

Others are right:

- your contract is almost certainly with Carphone Warehouse. They are legally your first recourse, and they know that.
- any manufacturer's warranty is additional to your rights as a consumer.
- goods sold must be 'of merchantable quality'

In addition, EU law gives you a 2-year recourse to the manufacturer, if there is a manufacturing defect (and on that ground alone). To take advantage of that, you have to prove that (a) there is a defect and (b) it's occurred in manufacturing. So, like many things EU-ish, it's probably not worth the paper it's printed on, probably, as you bear the initial costs of any action yourself, too.

Did you buy it with a credit card? If so you may have additional protection there, as technically the CC company is part of the contract, and your rights are extended.

Expectatons regarding wear+tear on mobiles must be well understood by now, as it's not exactly a small market. I seriously doubt 7 months life would be thought of as acceptable.

Keep records of all interactions. If it's not repaired or replaced satisfactorily (repair is at the discretion of the supplier usually after that length of time), then you may need trading standards' help.

I am not a lawyer, but this stuff isn't exactly cometary landing science...

E.

B@~£$%ds!!

I'm getting more and more cynical about the big boys - they really do think they can throw their weight around - they know most of us will just give up and push off.

My bro has just been onto Virgin, after 'upgrading' to fibre optic broadband, which they assured him was the canine's testicles. Turns out after 5 months of absolutely snail paced bb, they are rectifying a fault and have moved fixing date back another 2 months.

THey offered him 50 quid, or stop contract, (though NOT for the mobile, telephone or calls - said they'll see him in court for it. He's going to see if they do fix it by year end, as (second) promise, they see if they will brass it out into court.

Good luck and let us know the result for you

Greg

The phone works ok but the keypad is faulty if you press d you get f if you press f you get f to get d you have to press s to get s you press a there is no a its like this with all the letters
The man at the shop said there was nothing wrong with it a first but the second man did see the problem doro are going to pick the phone up from me and fix it. to be fair on the car phone warehouse it may be a problem with their staff as they are from Camborne

Well I can see that it is just me but I can't see your problem.
You have a low end phone and all warranty issues are dealt with direct with the manufacture and they seem to be dealing with your problem.
My dealings with Car Phone Warehouse have always been good

I'm currently at odds with Orange over a problem with a phone from Carphone Dunghouse. Got the debt collectors coming apparently, bring 'em on I'll get me heavy boots on.

n0legs":za5xdbeb said:
I'm currently at odds with Orange over a problem with a phone from Carphone Shithouse. Got the debt collectors coming apparently, bring 'em on I'll get me heavy boots on.

How can you end up having a bad situation with Orange over problems with a hand set they did not supply?

powertools":tvi2vi47 said:
Well I can see that it is just me but I can't see your problem.
You have a low end phone and all warranty issues are dealt with direct with the manufacture and they seem to be dealing with your problem.
My dealings with Car Phone Warehouse have always been good

No that is incorrect. His contract is with Carphone Warehouse. He has a valid case with the Small Claims Court.

powertools":2c8xcx9s said:
n0legs":2c8xcx9s said:
I'm currently at odds with Orange over a problem with a phone from Carphone Shithouse. Got the debt collectors coming apparently, bring 'em on I'll get me heavy boots on.

How can you end up having a bad situation with Orange over problems with a hand set they did not supply?

I won't bore you with all the details.
Phone bought on Orange contract from CW.
Phone breaks down so returned to CW.
CW say it not their problem.
I say fix phone or I won't pay monthly bill.
Orange ask me why not pay monthly bill.
I explain their agent will not fix phone.
They say argument between me and CW.
I say fine, but CW market and sell on your behalf.
Orange agree they do.
I say tell CW to fix phone then I pay monthly bill.
They say we can't do that.
I say then we have a problem.
They say we might see you in court.
I say fine see you there.
It's taken them 2 years to get to this stage. I have been told by a decent guy at Orange during one of my many calls about the issue they have terrible trouble with CW and if it was up to him he'd bin their contract, but CW are a good cash cow for all the networks.
FIN.

phil.p":3e9dbve6 said:
What's wrong with Camborne?

Obviously, Carphone Warehouse for starters, I'm sure others will chip in to help you out with an answer to your question :wink: :wink: :wink:

Brian

Latest posts

Back