Honing oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have just purchased a Norton India oilstone (I dropped my old one, stupid) and was advised to use "Honing Oil". All I have ever used in the past was 3 in 1 oil. Any advice would be appreciated.
Pete

Have a look at the Liberon website as they have a honing oil for bench stones,it costs about £6.00, I looked into it but no good for machines.
Merlin.

Pete Hughes":6cp926oq said:
Hello, I have just purchased a Norton India oilstone (I dropped my old one, stupid) and was advised to use "Honing Oil". All I have ever used in the past was 3 in 1 oil. Any advice would be appreciated.
Pete

Use any oil you have around, providing the viscosity is about right (easy to test). If the viscosity is too thick, you may be able to still use it, by mixing it with a thinner oil e.g. white spirit, parafin, diesel.

The functional requirment on honing oil (despite rumours of "magic" ones) are pretty wide.

BugBear

Is there anything intrinsically inferior about using 3-in-1? Or is is just quite an expensive option compared to others?

alan2001":u50kix0g said:
Is there anything intrinsically inferior about using 3-in-1?

No.

alan2001":u50kix0g said:
Or is is just quite an expensive option compared to others?

Yes.

Of course, buying "cheap honing oil" specially when you already have 3-in-1 is also expensive... sort of.

BugBear

Back