Homespun Turning Tools again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quick question: I've been reading through and my first thought is, do the mild steal tools hold a blade? I'd never have thought to use mild steal for a tool as I would have thought that the blade would never hold

hazel":2f3dr1du said:
quick question: I've been reading through and my first thought is, do the mild steal tools hold a blade? I'd never have thought to use mild steal for a tool as I would have thought that the blade would never hold
It would be a pretty good catch that dislodged a TCT tip off the end of a mild steel shank such as this:-
DSCN4297.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4297.JPG
    DSCN4297.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,248
ah, I see what you're doing! THe actual edge is a cutting blade not mild steel. That's cheating :p

For one-off jobs or short runs even a Case Hardened Mild Steel tool will do the job,

I have some "Q-Max" type hole cutters made from mild steel that are still usable after 50 years, all depends on work load. (And they have not punched a valve base hole for a little while now :lol: )

fair enough. Until recently I was a welder and my partner is a metal worker so metal has always been my thing in the past, all our homemade tools are from tool steel though as we asumed that mild steel and other such would fail to hold an edge. Mild steel is far easier to get hold of though so may be worth exploring

Show us some pictures when you're done Vic, I would be most interested in seeing how they look. An interesting thread altogether this one.

Instead of using tools with a mild steel cutting edge , why not use EN32B it case hardens. so if you make a scraper ready to use then case harden it you will always have a case hardened cutting tip (top of tool) to use provided you don't over heat it when grinding back. This steel is easily available from metal merchants..eg Merseyside Metal Services Ltd

Back