HOMEMADE Festool Domino XL DF 500 style mortising machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DiscoStu":3533pcqi said:
Well, looks the part. Not sure it will have the accuracy of a domino though and that is sort of vital.

Stu,

I suppose you could say the same thing about any home-built router table, and there's a legion of those in daily use, giving A1 service. Yes? :D

Cheers

John

Good point DiscoStu

May I add that the 'height' of the mortice is set by the diameter of the cutter, and although its width is adjustable, as the tenons are likely to be home-made, they can be matched as accurately as desired.

The 'vertical' position of the mortice is obviously the same on each component of a joint.

The only area likely to affect accuracy is in the positioning of the tool in use. It needs to be held firmly in place - just like a biscuit jointer - aligned with the position marks, and not able to move as the mortice is cut. Provided the wood to be cut is firmly clamped, the large knob should facilitate this. I must admit that I will probably NOT add a port for a vacuum connection as this might be something else to make holding the tool steady more difficult.

Although the tool is quite bulky, the same can be said of the Festool original, which is quite a large beastie, and the same conditions apply to its use as described in the previous paragraph.

Hi Don,

Wow, that is excellent. Well done.

Could you please give me a link for the slides that you refer to in LumberJocks?

Thanks,
Neil

Good grief................... :shock: I'm not sold on the design side.

Back