Home made spalting?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
As anyone tried doing their own spalted woods.
If so how did you do it and was it successful.Any piccys :)
Started doing some of my own experiments today.
See here
I've put some part turned bowls into a bag of edge cuttings,and i've put some into some wood shavings,keeping them moist.Though the edge trimmings were already soaking.
Also thought about putting some in the compost bin :?:
Any thoughts :?:
R+D. :shock:
Paul.J.

HI

I have splatted a few and they look successful, they were fairly green cut down only about 3 weeks. All I did was wrap them in clingfilm and put them somewhere cool for at least 6 months.

They are looking good at the moment and I hope to turn them this summer.

This method was recommended to me by someone who spalts a lot of his wood and has a very good success rate.

john

I read somewher that the natural way was to half bury them in the soil for a few months. That's the state of much of the palted wood I find.

Pete

I just left a largeish log of sycamore out in the garden for a year. I haven't turned any of it yet but it looks like it could have done with rather longer to have any real effect.

Cheers,

Dod

I Have heard of people spalting in a barrel using horse manure, "Beer" and leaves with leaf mould on.

Apparently this creates the correct conditions for spating to occur quickly. The important ingredient I believe is the leaf mould.

Hmm.
Some interesting methods so far.
The idea i think is to make the process quicker,so some heat i thought would have been neccessary,ie the leaves,compost bin,clingfilm.
Am i right in thinking this way.
Paul.J.

Thanks for that Kenny.
So the compost bin idea and edge cuttings doesn't sound to bad then.But without the beer :roll:
I had my doubts over the wood chippings,so i will just leave one bowl in their and put some in the cb.
Time will tell. :?
Paul.J.

I have had good results with Beech by just leaving it laying in contact with the earth in the garden for 12 months or so. You do have to keep a close eye on it though, as the fungus progresses at different rates, so watch some pieces don't start to rot.

I have also read about various mixtures to promote spalting - horse manure seems to be a favourite ingredient in many. I think probably the safest and simplest method is to wrap the logs that you want to spalt in a black bag with some shavings from an already spalted piece of wood - that way you get a guaranteed supply of fungal spores. Put the bags somewhere warm and dark, and remember to keep checking on them every month or so.

Good luck.

Gary

PS - if anyone is local to me (South Wales) and wants some spalted Beech, I have a whole tree full. The horses killed one of our Beech trees a few years ago by nibbling the bark off in a ring right round the tree. The dead tree stood for about 5 years quietly spalting / rotting, before finally being blown over this winter. It has been cut up into largish chunks, so if anyone wants some, then feel free to drop me a PM. It is free to anyone who wants some.

Thanks Gary/John.
I will just see how my efforts go for now,and if it's any quicker.Don't think i'm too far off track.
I will keep you posted as to how it goes. :)
Paul.J.

I kept the shavings from when I turned a spalted log. Then put them in a dustbin with the logs I wanted to spalt.
I've only tried the yew log that I put in there but there was spalting visible. The remaining log is holly and if it's anywhere near as spalted as the original that I got the shavings from then I'll be very happy

Duncan

Back