home made mobil base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi chaps,i have two large old girls in my garage,no not the wife and mother-inlaw,a wadkin 12bft and a wadkin 12 bao,i need to move these about,and i want mobil bases,but at 8001b plus or 400 kilo in the foreign weight,those flimsey axminster and the like would be no good,has any one made a base to carry this sort of weight,if so would they be willing to let me have a plan of it,or advise on how to make them,many thanks frank.

A problem i have had is when loading the m/c for the first time almost all of the weight is applied to just 2 of the castors which means you have to buy high rated items lots manufacture them .If you had say a hard wood frame or steel, plus the castor its quite a lift up ,what is the max you can live with it affects the design and materials used.

Could you not measure the base sizes , take a photo of each base , the go to a steel worker / fabricator and get some made out of box section steel with small raised tabs on each side to stop any movement .

I hire out engine cranes when any heavy lifting is required so to do 2 machines in one swoop makes it cheaper :p

I like cheaper :p

boxed steel with an engine lift to get the machine on should be fine.
The biggest challenge is likely to be coming up with a design to raise and lower the wheels.

hi again,getting the machines on the bases is no problem,i have a few strong mates thats thats the easy part,i have twenty 3"castors nylon type rated at 150kilo each,i want a design in angle iron 3 or 4 inch,but i need a sketch or plan to copy,and would the wheel out riggers flex or would they need bracing,thanks for you input so far,frank.

Bob, wasn't it you who made up your own mobile base out of metal?

hmm I wonder if those toggle clamps will be man enough

wizer":3aybmqeg said:
Bob, wasn't it you who made up your own mobile base out of metal?

Guilty as charged Tom https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=17861

However my machines are nothing like as heavy as the Wadkins.

My bases were made from angle. This job calls for box section steel and a system to lower the wheels with much greater mechanical advantage than mine.

Bob

fobco":243mhul2 said:
hi again,getting the machines on the bases is no problem,i have a few strong mates thats thats the easy part,i have twenty 3"castors nylon type rated at 150kilo each,i want a design in angle iron 3 or 4 inch,but i need a sketch or plan to copy,and would the wheel out riggers flex or would they need bracing,thanks for you input so far,frank.

This is what i did.

DSC01138.jpg

I do get a bit of flex in the castor "out riggers" as a temp solution I put inch thick blocks of wood under the frame to lift it of the castors. ONE day! I wall add more bracing and fit screw down feet.

John-Henry

No their made by bench dog. Tho bench dog don't seem to make them any more

hi chaps,i remember a long while ago,on of the members got a new pillar drill,his neighbor made him a base and for his saw bench,they was yellow if that rings a bell,if not thanks for your help ill try a metal fabricator,frank.

I've moved a fair amount of machinery when I was a fitter, and these are the sort of feet we used to use, you can get them with holes in the feet so that you can mount / secure them directly to the floor once the machine is in position / levelled.

http://www.cad1.co.uk/products.asp?cat=161

Generally the machinery had castors on the frame with jacking bolts as per these on outriggers, once the machine was in position you can jack the machine up and lock them up - the good thing about these is they have handles as well.

Hope that helps

rgds

Darren

Latest posts

Back