holly.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandy

Established Member
Reaction score
hello, i have a number of holly blanks ( ordered a huge carving blank and had a freind cut it up) now, while its very close to white by the time i have finneshed with it, its much darker off cream colour, ive tried with oil, with out, with wax and it all seams to end up off colouer

any ideas?

try a water based acrylic lacquer. Or maybe an ultra blonde shellac.

will do, ill have to make sure i dont get it on the park that goes in the ear but its worth a try. thanks

There were a few letters in Woodturning over the last few months about this and it seems that boiling it helps :?
I will have a re-read later about it.

erm i thought boiling light woods made them go grey?

I have used lemon juice, fresh from the lemon although I have been told the jif stuff works as well. Rub it on the wood after turning and it restores the white colour.

I am not sure how true it is but I have been told the contact with the steel whilst turning discolours it.

john

Just had a look again,and it does say boil.
Part turn your bowl etc leaving wall about 1" thick.Boil for 2-3 hours.
Take out to drain for 24 hours.
Leave it for two weeks to dry.
Write the weight on it,and keep checking the weight every fortnight until it stabilises.Usually takes 2-3 months.
It will look grey/green but will turn white.
It says :?
Also works with Plum :shock:

Also found the other letter which does say to wash the wood using citric acid or lemon juice.Then wrap up in paper after turning.
Also remove the pith.

Back