holly.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandy

Established Member
Reaction score
hello, i have a number of holly blanks ( ordered a huge carving blank and had a freind cut it up) now, while its very close to white by the time i have finneshed with it, its much darker off cream colour, ive tried with oil, with out, with wax and it all seams to end up off colouer

any ideas?

try a water based acrylic lacquer. Or maybe an ultra blonde shellac.

will do, ill have to make sure i dont get it on the park that goes in the ear but its worth a try. thanks

There were a few letters in Woodturning over the last few months about this and it seems that boiling it helps :?
I will have a re-read later about it.

erm i thought boiling light woods made them go grey?

I have used lemon juice, fresh from the lemon although I have been told the jif stuff works as well. Rub it on the wood after turning and it restores the white colour.

I am not sure how true it is but I have been told the contact with the steel whilst turning discolours it.

john

Just had a look again,and it does say boil.
Part turn your bowl etc leaving wall about 1" thick.Boil for 2-3 hours.
Take out to drain for 24 hours.
Leave it for two weeks to dry.
Write the weight on it,and keep checking the weight every fortnight until it stabilises.Usually takes 2-3 months.
It will look grey/green but will turn white.
It says :?
Also works with Plum :shock:

Also found the other letter which does say to wash the wood using citric acid or lemon juice.Then wrap up in paper after turning.
Also remove the pith.

Latest posts

Back