Hollowing tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard J

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any comments about hollowing tools and carbide tips, opposed to normal gouges etc. Sharpness retention, stability in use, actually better or not etc etc???

Richard,

Do you actually mean hollowing tools or is your question relating to the trend to have tipped bars in the place of conventional tools?

S

I've had a Simon Hope 8mm TCT tool http://www.hopewoodturning.co.uk/carbide_tools_23.html for a while now and find it very good. The edge seems to last ages without any attention, surface finish can be very good. Seems easier than many other tools in use too, nicely free from any tendency to be 'grabby'.
Maybe the square shank ensures good angles of tool presentation, but I'm sure the same could be said for any of the TCT tipped tools though.

In contrast; I've also got the Crown midi revolution and an old ring tool, but both seem much harder to use and control. Probably better on green wood, than anything reasonably dry.

I made this one using an 8mm insert and didn't find it that good, perhaps it's my technique or maybe it's the insert. Perhaps I should have gone with a 6mm insert.
51f8415d36f059e340a653ff455ef208_zps9gglmduk.jpg

I've just ordered one of the 9mm flat inserts from Glen Teagle so I'll knock up a tool for it when it arrives and see how that works. Some of the other carbide tools I've made work well so far.

Thankyou again for your input. I am tempted, I am in credit at a certain woodturning store, so may fall for it.
I do find myself using my large round scraper more than any other tool, is this a bad thing?

Richard J":qdqaidqh said:
I do find myself using my large round scraper more than any other tool, is this a bad thing?

If you enjoy using it and get the finish you want then I'd say no. There are some turners who will disagree and say you need to practice more with a gouge but thats easy to say when they have no idea of someone else's circumstances. As long as it's safe enjoy doing it your way but keep your mind open to other ways of doing things.

I bought a nice new Crown 1 1/4" X 3/8" bowl scraper the other day and am really looking forward to using it!

On the back of the comments above, I am now the proud owner of a Simon Hope hollowing tool with straight and cranked attachments. It's awesome. I have many many chisels of every dimension and sort, but if I had my scrapers and the hollowing tool, I would be happy!! It's so controllable, and smooth to use. Very pleased with it. Many thanks again for your comments

Latest posts

Back