Hollowing tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I need advise on hollowing tool as I intend to have go in the new year.
Whats a good buy that's not Rolly Munro price I have about 120£ to spend on this
and I only want to buy once All my tools are made by crown.
Advise please Thank you.

Geoff. :D

Hi

Deep hollowing is not really my forte but if I were in the market for some tooling I'd make my own using carbide tips - not sure what I'd spend the remaining £90 on though :wink:

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick I will look in to that sounds interesting.
Happy new year when it happens
Geoff.

As Mick said, home made carbide tipped tools can be very good, there's one or more threads on them somewhere on the forum.

Cheers, Paul

I recently bought a Simon Hope hollowing tool and love it. used as a shear scraper it leave a reasonable finish and it is much cheaper than most of the competition.

Hi Geoff,

I made my own with carbide tips, I made up 5 tools for about £60 and they cut and hollow out a treat. If you type in a search for hollowing tools you should pick the thread up for all the info and help I had from the site

Regards

Vic

Geoff,

Before offering an answer, could I ask what sort of application you have (work you hope to do + knowledge of what lathe you have will help providing an answer that is as future proof as possible).

Simon

I have had good results using the big brother straight stem from axminster coupled with carbide cutters bought on Ebay very cheaply, I had to make some small carriers for the cutters from 1/4 inch steel and I needed to tap a 4mm thread and a 3mm thread for the cutter retaining screws, I also made handles for the steel bars. If this is withing your skill set then it is a very cheap and effective way to get a useful hollowing setup.

I like to make some of my own tools.

These are a couple of deep hollowing tools that I made, the first, very easy!

A round bar of bright mild steel, a flat, cut and filed at the end then drilled and tapped with a carbide cutter easily obtained.

The second a little more sophisticated, (need a small engineering lathe for this one) 5/8" square bright mild steel the nib end needs to be turned drilled and tapped

for a grub screw. A small bar (milled, drilled and tapped to hold the cutter, sldes in the end, the idea being it can be turned to any angle and set with the grub screw.

The 1/4" square bar coming out of the side counters any torque force when on the the rest. It doesn't need to be used but for a novice an added safety feature.

Funnily enough, the most expensive part of the big one was the round cutter itself.(The bar cutter below is just a piece of sharpened High speed steel. (works well) :roll: :roll: :roll:

john B.

John. B":3go3z59t said:
I like to make some of my own tools.

These are a couple of deep hollowing tools that I made, the first, very easy!

john B.
Those are very nice homemade tools =D> =D>

HI All sorry I've been slow to reply the lathe I have at the moment is a record CL4 so I will not be turning eny thing to big
Thanks for your advice I did not realize what a can of worms this turns out to be there are dozens of them.
After looking at over older posts I am going to make my own .
I was looking at an advert from tool post there advice was to come try them.
I have never tried hollowing so it would be waste of time.
What I am going to do is join Wigan Woodcrafts its a brilliant club and help full turners who will help me.
Thanks Geoff.

Latest posts

Back