Hollow form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece I am working on is not a new idea but a re-visit.

The texture and base colour have been applied but at this stage ( again) Ihave mixed ideas about where to take it.

The addition of a simple lid, finial and bead may be all that is needed and I may keep it close to a previous format. But time will tell.

The colour and textured was inspired by Chinese armour. The Chinese use a lot of deep sumptuous reds and I wanted to use this as a basis.

I am thinking of a pure gold leaf finial ( can't afford a solid one) :) I think it will stay pretty close to my lid and finial format in the end.

6 inches dia x 7 high

IMG_0193croppedsmall.jpg

texturesmall.jpg

Mark

Your 3 recent posts represent, to me, a fascinating range.

I will try to explain.

Latest piece - I felt I needed to see it in the 'flesh' to be able to both make sense of it and, most likely, appreciate it. This wasn't any comment on your photography (but comparing skills the representation of that piece would need a highly skilled artist in that medium). Honestly it was beyond me.

Bowl - obvious on most levels, complex but blunt, love it for what it was; but your post suggested you were looking for something else (which I didn't feel I could contribute to hence no comment). With the possible exception of trying to better integrate the representation of lava flow in the wider bowl elements I can't see 'improvement'.

Hollow Form (this one) - possibly one of the best examples of embellished hollow form I have seen. I think you have produced something that exactly matches the aims and objectives you outlined (I only tend to do this after the event!) right down to the underlying shape which is so suggestive to older Chinese form.

I'm actually quiet fascinated about how you choose to finish this with regard to any lid/top because I can't see any obvious solution (from history) - I would be tempted to leave it as it is!

If you haven't got it yet - I love this on many levels (and suspect that in the flesh I would like it even more)

jumps":1tdgbmz9 said:
Mark

Your 3 recent posts represent, to me, a fascinating range.

I will try to explain.

Latest piece - I felt I needed to see it in the 'flesh' to be able to both make sense of it and, most likely, appreciate it. This wasn't any comment on your photography (but comparing skills the representation of that piece would need a highly skilled artist in that medium). Honestly it was beyond me.

Bowl - obvious on most levels, complex but blunt, love it for what it was; but your post suggested you were looking for something else (which I didn't feel I could contribute to hence no comment). With the possible exception of trying to better integrate the representation of lava flow in the wider bowl elements I can't see 'improvement'.

Hollow Form (this one) - possibly one of the best examples of embellished hollow form I have seen. I think you have produced something that exactly matches the aims and objectives you outlined (I only tend to do this after the event!) right down to the underlying shape which is so suggestive to older Chinese form.

I'm actually quiet fascinated about how you choose to finish this with regard to any lid/top because I can't see any obvious solution (from history) - I would be tempted to leave it as it is!

If you haven't got it yet - I love this on many levels (and suspect that in the flesh I would like it even more)

Hi Jumps thank you for taking the time to comment much appreciated.

In relation to the bowl, the texture of the outside was not produced to represent lava. I like to texture so that I can add surface colour etc. But you comment about this and others comments have got me thinking.

The hollow form is not made to represent an actual Chinese form, although as you have said it is similar as the Chinese were at this shape long before I was born :). I generally obtain the start for a piece from a reference point that I have researched. In this case Chinese armour. I may not use it literally but just take a colour, texture or shape from what interests me. Beyond this I just do my own thing. Normally I add a lid and finial to my work as this has evolved into what I do the most and is my own twist if you like.

Thank you again for your detailed comments, much appreciated.

tekno.mage":pwhu4bk2 said:
Lovely form, Mark, and a very intriguing texture. I wonder if a cast bronze finial might be appropriate for this one?

I bet it would be lovely. Low melt metal is something else that has been sat in my tool box for oh, I expect two years. :D, somthing else I have not gotten round to.

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated.

I like it . It looks to me like a form of chain mail so fit in with the armour theme. The chinese used a form of scale armour but I got the drift right away. I really don't think it needs a finial but maybe a lid with a chinese sword type theme.

Hi Dennis

Thank your or your comment, much appreciated. The reference to the armour was the colour and not the texture, the colour being used as a starting point. I tend to put my own slant on things as I prefer not to go to literal if I can help it.

Thank you again

Back