Holdin onto the boastable wood,from the old building in town

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hello folks
Just wanted to throw this one "out there" for some input .
I have a largish collection of 12' long timbers (at least) taken from an old building in town .
These huge window frame timbers were salvaged from the skip and are in storage and still need to be de-nailed
and the whole nine yards ...
It will take some time, as these windows were there for a long time and used to have plywood nailed to them
for billboard purposes , that's no bother though, as the stuff is so hard, the only nails that would penetrate into it
would only get about a centimeter deep ! and this would only be in certain spots where severe weathering softened
just these edges, through the course of 100 years or more .
I must mention that I'm in no rush to get rid of it or anything .

Now the stuff is an awkward profile ,and I toyed with the idea of cutting each piece and laminating it to match its itself ,or matching similar long profiles up to make into a big slab.

Man, this stuff is denser and heavier than any iroko /similar hardwoods that I've got ...
And it needs planing with the cap iron in full effect ...
Its rather nice, and I've posted the question here, wanting to know what this stuff is ...with no answers.

So I just wanted to know if you folks have a similar story, and are keeping a'hold of some timbers, that your locally based, well heeled folks might want, because it was from this or that building in town ...
Prestige and all that stuff .
Obviously size is going to be a factor in this question ,but I'll ask for fun, anyways ...

What do you deem the most suitable purpose, from your most boastable of timbers ?
Does making an exclusive project to one, or maybe their wealthy cousin/brother exc well to do persons
suit this application ...
Or would it be better to do something else with it ?
Its not going anywhere for a looong while anyway, but I think an interesting question, none the less .
Thanks for reading =D>
T

Attachments

• SAM_1505.JPG
    SAM_1505.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 68
  • SAM_1506.JPG
    SAM_1506.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Very old shopfront windows.JPG
    Very old shopfront windows.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 68