Hock plane irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe":310u0t8y said:
An example of the latter would, I think, be Rob Cosman using his baby son (that man has so many children) in his dovetail-saw video, where he recommends gripping the saw like you would a baby's hand.

Of course such a metaphor, to be of use, requires shared experience.

I do remember someone saying to adjust the blade in a wooden plane, tapping it about as hard as you'd tap a panel pin in, which seemed helpful.

BugBear (happily childless)

Having spent part of the day job in industrial training, for what it's worth, good craftsmen can make excellent instructors, and properly presented his 'automatic' skill should inspire, not frighten off. However passing on practical skills is a skill in itself which needs teaching to the potential instructor, and lots of practice. Simply 'sitting by Fred' is not generally a very effective learning method, even for the eager student!

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum. :D

You link has been caught by our spam trap, it will stop once you have a few more posts, here it is:

www.robcosman.com

I like the idea of spiral bound workshop books, stay open and usable while struggling to emulate the master. :roll:

I must agree about children, and grandchildren are even better. 8)

I am with Rob on this and welcome to the forum.
I fully respect my friends who have decided kids are not for them.
For my self I have recently and unexpectedly gone deaf with the result my wife (29 years) is divorcing me, I am loosing my job and probably my home. In my darker moments it would be easy to think my life’s work has amounted to nothing; but then I think of both my kids at university and my heart swells with pride.
They are my legacy, not my hand skills – however good I get or the size and quality of my tool chest.
Jon.

Apologies to anyone who feels these comments inappropriate.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your misfortune Jon.

Back to my original point - you don't actually need to have any children of your own to understand the balance of firmness and gentleness described by Rob's metaphor (or is it a simile?). We all have the necessary imagination.

Joel

Agreed Joel, we all have our preferred ways of absorbing and understanding information. The child metaphor will have broad appeal not least as were all were once children - however far now removed. Imagination can help bridge that gap.
I entirely agree we all have that imagination; we couldn’t do what we do without it.
It is nice to be inspired by a child’s enthusiasm and imagination but this certainly isn’t the exclusive province of those who have kids.
Jon.

Back