Hobbies treadle fretsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would be most grateful if any of you could identify and/or give historic background to this treadle operated fretsaw by Hobbies, please.

It appears to be similar to the Imperial model (early 1900's) but with a more recent saw mechanism.

Best Regards, Dagfinn

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 2,681
Interesting! the bottom half is 100% definitely hobbies imperial but as you mention the top is a little questionable if you look at the drawing of the Imperial it has a different designed top part plus I always understood that the Imperial came with the built in drill attachment, however it's possible that might have made some without?
Imperial (Medium).jpg

however a later image seems to show a different design top more similar to your picture but again it does have the drilling attachment.

It has obviously been painted because Imperials were always supplied in black originally.

Attachments

• Imperial (Medium).jpg
    Imperial (Medium).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,983
  • P1020020 (Medium).JPG
    P1020020 (Medium).JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,586
Thank you Scrimper for your most interesting information. Do you have any dates for the illustrations you posted?

The RAF blue is believed original paint, could it be that there were a stock of Imperial bases to be used up in a production run with the more recent saw mechanism? Anyone know how many of these were made, I have only seen two! The Hobbies company did not have any information sadly, so its up to you guys!

Viking":12c78rn7 said:
Thank you Scrimper for your most interesting information. Do you have any dates for the illustrations you posted?

The RAF blue is believed original paint, could it be that there were a stock of Imperial bases to be used up in a production run with the more recent saw mechanism? Anyone know how many of these were made, I have only seen two! The Hobbies company did not have any information sadly, so its up to you guys!

I still don't think it was sold in that colour, if you look closely you can see the black finish underneath and on the back of the cast arm support it shows the original black.

I will post some further info about the imperial later tonight, I have some grass to cut now! :)

I believe Hobbies are from my neighbourhood, that being Norfolk. They were based in Dereham which is a town about 10miles west of Norwich.

They made simple treadle lathes and coping saws too, though thats only the stuff I have seen; Fretsaws seem to have been their main production (they turn up all over the place), thats the nicest one I have seen... mine is much more bog standard and less fancy.

Hi Rhyolith,

Thanks for your comments.
I believe this example may be a bit of a hybrid model when Hobbies were transferring production over from the Imperial model but still had imperial model bases to use with a newer design saw head. Have anyone out there got a more informed view on this?

The base is certainly well proportioned and very sturdy and stable.

The top certainly looks like my standard model. It might be of course that some previous owner replaced it.

Quite a lot pops up on google if you search "Hobbies of Dereham", they seem to still be around... unless there is a new Hobbies company operating in Dereham selling modelling kit :D

I am a bit of a collector of hobbies teradle saws and I have what I think is an imperial but it is different again from yours. I think that they made many different versions.

powertools":zg6noj5e said:
I am a bit of a collector of hobbies teradle saws and I have what I think is an imperial but it is different again from yours. I think that they made many different versions.

Is yours like either of the two pictures of the second post in this thread?

Rhyolith":1par5tk9 said:
Quite a lot pops up on google if you search "Hobbies of Dereham", they seem to still be around... unless there is a new Hobbies company operating in Dereham selling modelling kit :D

The original Hobbies company was started around 1885 by J.H. Skinner, to start with they bought in fretwork tools and machines from abroad, by 1890 such was the demand that Hobbies opened a foundry in Dereham to manufacture machines in the UK eventually they became the worlds largest manufacturer of fretsaws.

I won't list all of their history but they became known all over the world but in the late 1960's they were not making profits and the company was taken over and unbelievingly the famous name of Hobbies was dropped in favour of the name Exham Realisations Ltd (God only knows why!) but basically by 1969 Hobbies had ceased to exist.

Again cutting out the history Ivan Stroulger an ex manager of Hobbies started a new company called Dereham Handicrafts Company which later became Hobbies (the new current company) but it was a different thing altogether, whereas the original company manufactured most of the things they sold the new Hobbies basically bought stuff in to sell, but it was good to see the brand return.

Sadly Ivan Stroulger passed away in 2009 age 92.

Viking":3d7riaye said:
Anyone know how many of these were made, I have only seen two! The Hobbies company did not have any information sadly, so its up to you guys!

TBH I doubt that anyone knows the answer to that question, when Hobbies was liquidated in 1968 most of the company records were destroyed and most who worked for the original Hobbies who might have known have long since passed away.

What I can tell you is that the Imperial first went into production around 1899 and continued up until the 2nd world war, they were certainly listed in the 1939 handbook but by 1941 they had disappeared as Hobbies went over to war production. after the war the Imperial was understandably never resurrected.

As far as I am aware there were two versions as shown in my pictures in the 2nd post of this thread, the later one was described as the new improved Imperial, the change happened sometime between 1931 and 1935.

For the record my late grandfather who gave fretwork lessons to local lads and sold Hobbies products in his shop owned an Imperial (the earlier model) and one of my greatest regrets is that I could have had it when he passed away but it went for scrap, at the time I owned a Hobbies A1 machine and did not have room for another machine, also being a young lad I was more interested in Motor cycles and young ladies at the time (Lol still am actually)!

Hope this info is of interest.

Thanks for that scrimper, I am interested to learn more about one of the few local tool manufactures Norfolk has to offer :)

Rhyolith":3lr9djn1 said:
Thanks for that scrimper, I am interested to learn more about one of the few local tool manufactures Norfolk has to offer :)

In that case, I recommend you buy the book by Terry Davy.

BugBear

bugbear":27aklyre said:
Rhyolith":27aklyre said:

In that case, I recommend you buy the book by Terry Davy.

BugBear

Thanks for the tip, BugBear. I might have to get a copy myself as I'd love to know more about my treadle lathe. It's not the usual version (the Millers Falls copy) that normally crops up.

Interesting bit of history this. I have no idea about the OP's saw but can say that when I was about 10 (say 1955) we had a treadle fret saw at (primary) school which I used a bit. No idea how old it was but I remember it was definitely Hobbies, was black (I think), and looked pretty similar (but perhaps not quite so "flowery") as the machine shown.

I also remember as a kid growing up around that time that there was a Hobbies Catalogue published every year, found in our local newsagents. Had a range of tools and various kits and bits & pieces (wheels, knobs, etc) in it. I used to drool over it regularly but couldn't afford the catalogue (about One and Six I think), never mind any of the contents!

I'd be interested in a link to the Hobbies book mentioned above. Anyone please?

AES

Thanks for that powertools - I didn't think of looking on Hobbies own web site!

Ordered (it's just interesting, and reminds me of my "yoof).

AES

AES":d3pohcgs said:
Interesting bit of history this. I have no idea about the OP's saw but can say that when I was about 10 (say 1955) we had a treadle fret saw at (primary) school which I used a bit. No idea how old it was but I remember it was definitely Hobbies, was black (I think), and looked pretty similar (but perhaps not quite so "flowery") as the machine shown.

I also remember as a kid growing up around that time that there was a Hobbies Catalogue published every year, found in our local newsagents. Had a range of tools and various kits and bits & pieces (wheels, knobs, etc) in it. I used to drool over it regularly but couldn't afford the catalogue (about One and Six I think), never mind any of the contents!

I'd be interested in a link to the Hobbies book mentioned above. Anyone please?

AES

Was the saw you are remembering more like this one
hobbies_catalogue_1912_013 (Medium).jpg

I still have one of these bought by my Grandfather, then passed on via my late father. I don't use it now it's much easier with the motorised saw!

It was originally called Hobbies catalogue but they changed the name to Hobbies handbook it was published it from the early days right up until 1968 (inc the war years). I have most copies from the 1930's to the last one, I always liked them for some reason, my dad bought one every year and I am a hoarder!

Attachments

• hobbies_catalogue_1912_013 (Medium).jpg
    hobbies_catalogue_1912_013 (Medium).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,921
  • 1943 Hobbies Handbook (Medium).jpg
    1943 Hobbies Handbook (Medium).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,557
Hi scrimper,

As far as I can remember (which to be honest is not all that well), the saw I used in the mid '50s looked pretty similar, but perhaps the foot treadles were a little less ornate, and I don't remember those 2 side extensions on the table. I don't even remember if it used pinned or pin less blades!

AES

"I still don't think it was sold in that colour, if you look closely you can see the black finish underneath and on the back of the cast arm support it shows the original black."

Thank you Scrimper for the interesting story about these great tools. I dont recall seeing any black finish under the blue but I will check it out with the actual saw and report back. This will not be until the middle of May though.

The axle protruding from the small pulley was, I think, detailed to receive a chuck for drilling. Your second image might throw some light on this as it describes a saw with drill attachment. It would be great if you could scan this with the whole page showing and a little more definition, please.

Latest posts

Back