Hmm, driftwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a commission to make a couple of shelves in the style of driftwood! I know i could use driftwood and living close to the beach might have access to some....but these shelves need to be 200cm long 20 cm wide so not what is usually washed up. Add to that the customer wants it in a darker colour. How can I make some off the shelf board look like driftwood? Do you think a bit of irregular cutting, bashing and sanding would give the desired effect? :?

Have you any contacts in the motor trade who have grit/shot blasting equipment - easiest was to get the appearance you are looking for!

Use grainy softwood and burn over the surface with a blow lamp followed by a wire brush and a good wash down with sugar soap. The soft summer growth burns away leaving the harder winter growth rings.
You can follow this with all sorts of interesting wiped paint effects - it stays thick in the hollows but wipes off the grain ridges

Have a look around local salvage yards. The chances are that one of will have old pier pile timbers. Beautiful stuff if you get the right bits. It comes complete with nail holes, splits and natural saltwater erosion. If you can't find it locally its well worth going further afield for.

Made from a variety of woods but most common I believe is greenheart as its very heavy and resilient to water. It's also very dark. Finished properly you will get swirls of just about every colour in the rainbow running through it. Also in its favour is that it can usually be found in sleeper sized chunks.

Give me a shout if you get stuck and ill ferret about for some in Cornwall (where I work in the week) and we can work something out.

Just did a quick Internet search for "reclaimed jetty timber" and loads of stuff came up. It appears the Aussies are big into it.

Try PMing the chaps on this thread for some first hand experience.
greenheart-timber-info-t3215.html

If you're really lucky you can get it complete with old rusty natical metalware still attached; perfect for an authentic look.

Back