Hitachi angle grinders anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
In here or the metalwork section?? :p
To the point....my Makita 4" angle grinder burnt it's brushes out yesterday after what I would deem very little use. To look at you'd say it was virtually new. Anyroad, I've ordered some new brushes, but browsed new grinders while I was at it. I've ordered a Hitachi for £38!! I couldn't not it was that cheap and such a reputable brand me thinks. I'll have one for the van and one for the shop now :D :D
Has anyone any experience with Hitachi power tools?
It was direct from Amazon by the way, with free postage.

I've got the Hitachi angle grinder and a circular saw - both fine for me. When I had an outside of warranty problem with the circular saw with sticking armature brushes (owing to lack of use and damp garage) Hitacih customer services popped a couple a sets in the post FOC.

I have a hitachi planer about 8 years old now great work horse also 2 hitachi battery drills both needing new triggers after little use. So a bit hit and miss in my opinion.

They have, in common with others like Makita, more than one range of quality. I have just paid £140 for a 125mm Hitachi grinder for work. It will last and take the stick.
They also do a similar sized grinder for £80. It won't last in trade / industrial use.

for DIY or if you nurse it, it should last a while. You get what you pay for.

Hitachi are good, just stay away from the fancy looking cheaper models if your going to work them hard.

Peter is about right in my experience, pick them well and they are very good quality.

I have a 230mm one, which has done a lot of stone cutting (more than a more expensive Metabo 125mm which died).

I also have a drill and an impact driver I got for very little when Wickes stopped stocking them and sold them off - very good quality again.

I'm happy with my 230mm Hitachi angle grinder, though it doesn't have soft-start so it really kicks when turned on.

Back