Hinges for gates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a pair of gates for vehicle access at the end of a feather board fence and would like to make the frame of the gates out of 4 by 2 and 6 by 2 and then cover them with feather boards to match the fence but as the gates need to open outwards the hinges will need to be on the feather board side of the gates how do I fix the large T hinges over the uneven surface of the feather boards to make it look nice?

do the gates need to open past 90 degrees ? if not they can be hidden behind the feather edge that would also hide the screws with security in mind, you could also bevel the edges of the feather board to gain a bit more opening clearance .

I saw this only yesterday. Thought it was a good idea.

Attachments

• hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 250
  • hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 242
Thanks for the ideas I think that fitting the hinges behind the feather board is a good idea but due to the weight of the gates I don't think that standard T hinges will be strong enough and using more heavy duty hinges may cause a problem behind the boards.
The result I am trying to achieve is to have the gates blend in with the fence without having the hinges fitted to the outside on the un even surface of the feather board and having the gates open outwards.
I would have thought that this is a problem many people have had but there seems to be no simple solution.

How about fitting some of the heavy duty ball bearing stainless hinges to them? I have used them on a set of garage doors before and they work a treat. :wink:

I am confused (easily done) are you wanting the gates to open inward or out? The idea shown will allow the hinges to fix on the back and open outward. If you want the gates to open inward the hinges would fit on the rear anyway.

You can get some very solid galvenised hinges. They would probably be fine especially if you use 3. Difficult to know without having seen it but don't discount a good solid t hinge, easy to fit too.

Back