Hikoki M12V2 vs Triton TRA001 - is the Hikoki a red herring in my choice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I was all set on getting the Triton, but then they were out of stock evreywhere (cheap) and i got thinking about the Hitachi / Hikoki

Triton seems to win hands down on table use, but then i started thinking about my primary desire, and that was to build one of those slab flattening sledge things, as flattening off stuff on the cnc machine is just tedious.

In videos the Hikoki looks way larger and heavier than the Triton, however, they are both actually, pretty much, the same weight - triton is actually 100g heavier.

Then the wattage -

Hikoki 2000w
Triton 2400w

Power in does not equal power out, however, but if it did, then the Triton would seem the more powerful unit?

What I'm getting at -

I was kind of swaying toward the Hikoki as, whilst it did not have the under table features of the Triton, i figured it may just be a bit of a brute of a machine for doing slab flattening (Hikoki angle grinders are certainly in the "get the job done" category) but...

It seems like the Triton would be a preferable tool for the simple heavy work also, and the Hikoki would offer me no advantage at all? Apart from, perhaps, Hitachi / Hikoki's reputation for surviving rolling about in the back of a works van?

I have both of these routers. The Triton lives in my table and is great for that. The Hitachi I use as my manual router. Personally I wouldn't consider the Triton for hand work as it is so big and I like the Hitachi as it feels nice to use by hand. This is just personal preference. If I was to buy just one for dual use I would probably go for the Hitachi, but the Triton definately feels more powerful and is great in the table but that isn't to say the Hitachi is low on power.

Have you looked at the Hitachi/Hikoki M12V2?
I have one of these and I don't see any reason to purchase the M12V2 over it unless you're fond of star trek. It's cheaper, lighter and has the same power.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Hitachi/Hikoki M12V2?
I have one of these and I don't see any reason to purchase the M12V2 over it unless you're fond of star trek. It's cheaper, lighter and has the same power.

I dont think youve written what you wanted to write? : )

Whenever i see a Name like Hikoki or Boschman they are often being flogged by dodgy blokes with Irish accents hawking them out of white vans. Insisting they are the same quality as the original they are copied from. Cheap chinese knock offs that are not worth wasting your money on. Buy cheap buy twice, or thrice!

I had both these routers and I recently sold the Hitachi one (now hikoki I suppose)

For me, Triton wins on a lot of things. The fine adjustment and the coarse adjustment on the Triton is very good.

Hand held, of course, Triton is a bit big, but not impossible and not a million miles off the Hitachi, I felt. Neither of them are small, per say, so I preferred to keep the Triton and possibly get a palm router for hand held work.

Point is, you don't need a router with more than 1500W for hand held use on small parts, and on big parts hand held, you can actually use the big triton.

However if you do need the power and 1/2" shank for hand held use but don't want the bulk, I'd sooner get the mof version of the Triton for a one-router-does-all option. It is smaller, has the same bells and whistles as the large Triton. And saves you some money, which you can spend on some good cutters.

I have a smaller trend, T4 maybe, which is fine for hand stuff.

I'm wanting a big and brutal machine for heavy work.

I have all 3 Tritons. the TRA stays in the table the mof is one of my handhelds, my heavy duty machine and is able to take 1/2 1/4 8 and 6mm collets and my Jof is my take with me tool. I also have a load of katsu and a load of various rotary tools in plunge bases for intricate stuff

I have a smaller trend, T4 maybe, which is fine for hand stuff.

I'm wanting a big and brutal machine for heavy work.

There's quite a few TRA001 owners on here, never seen a complaint about it aside from it being a bit heavy. I can't really comment since I've only picked up one router in my life so I've nothing to compare it to but I don't find it unwieldy. It's certainly not light as a feather but it's nor is it like trying to drag an unconscious camel across your living room.

I have all 3 Tritons. the TRA stays in the table the mof is one of my handhelds, my heavy duty machine and is able to take 1/2 1/4 8 and 6mm collets and my Jof is my take with me tool. I also have a load of katsu and a load of various rotary tools in plunge bases for intricate stuff
Would you like another one @Droogs ? You seem to be a bit light on routers. :p

@bp122 when I started to use power tools, I bumped into the late great Ron Fox and immediately became an apostle due to then and now rigourous space constraints and the routers versitility. Like clamps you can never have enough routers even ones without wires

For hand held use I don't think you can beat the Draper Expert 1/2" has a transparent base with three LED work lights built in, I was so impressed I bought another, invaluable in my dovetail jig, I have a very old Hitachi M12VE in my router table it's old and been used a lot, but is still in perfect working condition, sold the Triton after having to change the bearings for the second time, only use was in a table.

Back