Hi All..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyroots

Reaction score
HiAll,

I have just joined the forum after many hours of reading posts (not sure where to put this as I cannot find an introductions page).

I am new to woodworking and am about to endeavour in turning my 12 x 8 shed into a little workshop. I am a keen diyer and have various tools ( router, mitre saw, circular saws, table saw, drills, chisels, saws etc) but wanted to make a little workshop for some projects that I have planned.

Hopefully I can pick up some really useful advice and information on the forum

Look forward to it

Regard
Rusty

Welcome Rusty,

I'm quite new too and I have found this to be a very friendly forum.

Ask away, there is much knowledge here willingly shared :)

Hi Rusty, welcome to the forum, where you should be able to find loads of information on everything to do with woodworking.

I'm retired and only started woodworking 4 years ago, but am having fun and enjoy working in my double garage ...... except when it's so very cold.

Good luck

Malcolm

Hi Rusty,

Welcome. As well as getting info from this forum, which is very good by the way, there's oceans of woodworking info on YouTube which I think most of us use to some degree.

John

Hi Rusty welcome and hope to hear much of your planned projects in the new year you will find plenty of support on this forum.

El Barto":2chc9525 said:
Welcome. Also new around here but I've gotta say, it's the friendliest and most polite forum I've ever been on!

Very true...............until you mention the sh Word #-o
Then we all get our handbags out :lol:

Hi Rusty,

I too am pretty new on here... Welcome along.
I have lost many hours reading the various workshop threads... I work in IT so am often sat at a PC meant to be working but find this a distraction.

As others have said insulate your shed, or better still lift it off the floor as well as insulate it. I used a double extension ladder separated and slid front to back under the shed (had a friend help me tip it one way then push one of the ladders under the left said, then tip the other way and put the other ladder under the other side. The two of us could then drag the shed forward so i could lay some 4 x 4 timber joists on the ground, get them level and sorted and then 4 people lifted the shed back onto them.. air can now circulate under the shed floor, its warmer that standing on the floor and i don't get anywhere near as much condensation as i used too.

As a side i took the opportunity to jet wash the shed and paint it with shades wood paint. It just stores the lawn mower, the compressor (controlled from the garage) and some spare timber I have knocking about.

Anyways good look, and post some pictures of your setup once you are "setup".

Thanks all.

Shed is already raised and I think that it may be insulated (I will double check).

First job after I finish off the garden project to clear out the timber I have stored in shed is to make a saw bench.

I was going to incorporate a router table into it as well, but I think I will keep them separate. I will make them at the same height so I can use as an out feed table.

The problem is that I keep watching too many YouTube videos and keep changing my mind on whether to separate or have them together.

Any advice welcome.

Rusty

Hi Rusty,
I'm a new member as well, I posted a couple of projects myself and got some great feedback.
Good bunch of lads.
how big is your shed and what sort of projects are you thinking of?

Welcome aboard mate. Regarding the router table - you've mentioned that if you kept them separate you could use it as an outfeed table, but are there any pros for you integrating it? Could you integrate it in the outfeed position? Or don't you have the space?

I integrated mine into the extension wing, so I could use the tablesaw fence as my router fence too.

Hi cretin - shed is only 12x8 foot. Projects planned - I am a keen gardener so I make lots of stuff for the garden, need to make some staging for green house. I thought I could make these folding with m & t joints, reason being it will be good practice and if it doesn't go to plan it's only for the greenhouse. Need to make some storage for garage and planned new utility room. Then after spending hours on you tube over Christmas I fancy making some picture frames using different woods. I will see how all this goes and then may expand into other things. Nothing to difficult at the moment.

Hi MattRoberts - Im not sure about the space as I haven't come up with a concrete layout, but as the shed is small I think maybe not. I think I will have to come up with some clever design (we'll steal ideas from YouTube :lol:). Maybe a lot of folding stuff so that it can be put away when not in use. I was thinking of this kind of design for the outfeed table to saw, but like the idea of utilising the fence from saw on router table. Need to buy new router before building table as I only have a cheap one (Extreme power)I bought to flush some boxing in for old house, but have found that it is such a useful tool I use it quite often.

At the moment my shed is full of 6x2 as I am redoing my veg beds in garden. I need to get this done asap so as I can see the space and start to design what I want to do.

Rusty

Sounds good Rusty,
I'm a joiner by trade, but mainly make and fit bespoke kitchens, utility rooms and wardrobes. my shed is 6m x 6m sq but as a hobby I restore vintage bikes and scooters, while making the odd kitchen for people,
My biggest problem while woodworking in the shed is the dust getting over everything so I have one half of shed set up for clean work and the other side for dirty work. (Cutting, sanding, grinding, etc)
I have all my woodworking stuff (bench, table saw) on lockable castors so on the off chance of a good day I can do most of my cutting and routing outside, I was also thinking of doing away with my router table and mounting it on my table saw.

Latest posts

Back