Here's an idea, has it been posted around before?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder why we do not have a UK based Scrollsaw society.

We have a USA, Canada one and maybe an Australian one, we also have a world wide one based again in the in the States.

Some of the magazines try to help by producing the odd Scrollsaw project every month or bi monthly but no real support for scrollsawing in the UK apart from each other and the odd forum which I find this one great.

What do or can we do about it?

I haven't the money or health to start something but I wish I did, I really wish I did?

Does it need any money at all to start off with? I don't think it does and anyway people do not have as much money as they used to.

The American one started from a few people getting together most of the Scrollsaw plans are USA based just look at the great site of www.toymakingplans.com amongst others yes I buy plans from them as well.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It took quite a few people writing to the magazines for one our two to put the odd plan in.

How do we go about making a UK based Scrollsaw society or is there one already that I don't know about.

I know the magazines do not think enough people in the UK have Scrollsaw machines to bring out a Scrollsaw magazine so we have to buy the US one even though it is a great magazine and I argue with the wife as to the cost of subscription every two years as it is the only one.

How many scroll saw owners are in the UK?

How many use theirs on a regular basis?

Do we want a collective society for the UK as Woodturning and woodwork has.

Ok got my two penny's worth in.

Over to you now, let each other know what you think have we got a big enough following, do you know friends that have a Scrollsaw in their workshop, shed, garage or house that are or are not using theirs but would if we had more support or more UK based plans.

Thanks for listening I will now listen to you (steps off his box)

Tim

Hi Tim. I think this idea came up before some time back. I agree with everything you said and it would be nice if there was a national body for all those who are into scrolling but I feel unlikely to happen for several reasons. I don't think there are enough people in the UK to make it happen. If someone did have enough interest to form a society it would be a huge undertaking, almost a full time job. I think the nearest we have to a scroll saw community is this forum. Years ago before I moved to Wales I was the chairman of a couple of angling clubs. I also wrote for the angling press and had a fishing program on the local radio as well as a full time job. In a way it was great relief when I moved here as I could spend more quality time with the family. I still go fishing but I don't get so involved as I used to.

I think most of the scrollers on here are in full time work and with family commitments would not have the time. There are a few older people who are retired or like me are disabled and at home all day. If I took on something like this I think the best I could do would be a monthly news letter and even then I would struggle to find subject matter each month. It will be interesting to see how others feel about this excellent idea.

Back in September 1998 the Guild of Master craftsman published the first issue of a magazine entitled The Scrollsaw, it was an excellent magazine devoted 100% to scroll-sawing. I bought every issue and still have them but unfortunately the sales were just too low and after a couple of years it was discontinued. I thought it was a great shame but there is not the interest in crafts such as scroll-sawing in the UK, in the US they do seem to be more enthusiastic about crafts and woodworking.

When you read this forum it does seem that there is a lot of interest however if you look at the names generally there is just a smallish hardcore of fretworkers who post regularly and others who appear then disappear again without trace! Sadly although there is a lot of interest shown here there are not masses of people in the UK who are fretwork fans in fact a lot of people don't know it exists!

It would be nice if there was a dedicated fretwork/scroll-saw website for the UK which contained a forum like this one. :)

To me it appears that Geoff and John have fully answered the reasons that there is not the interest for this great hobby that we enjoy.John pointed out that there is a small hardcore that post regular,and some post when a post interests them.
I to have all the copies that John has of The Scrollsaw magazine,if there was the national interest in the scrollsaw the magazine would still be around.I have only been a member of this forum for just over a year,and I have appreciated all the help that I have received during that time.With a special mention for Geoff,who I think of every time I use the Hegner,for the suction setup which is invaluable when using reverse blades,thank you.

Bryan

I completely agree with the posts above.

I have often thought, why is woodworking in general, much more active in America and Canada, is it because timber stock of various species is more available and presumably at an affordable price .

Take care.

Chris R.

Latest posts

Back