Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles gouges carving tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin83

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would like to know more in detail about the brands henry taylor and ashley iles, are they still excellent brands of ''made in Sheffield'' gouges as in the old days, I could see that on the Lee Valley website, henry taylor gouges are still available and have been for forty years supposedly, I have heard good and bad comments on these two brands but more precisely on henry taylor, unfortunately the answers are often ''fuzzy' ', by email from Lee Valley I am told that it is a very good brand, they have never had bad comments or product returns and on other discussion forums it is a bit divided, like what at one point the quality would have dropped a little and there would have been a return to normal there after

Ashley Iles are good and carry a lifetime guarantee, although some people complain of them being a bit chunky.

Henry Taylor are known to be a bit soft, but I don't have much first hand experience of the brand, so I can't confirm that.
Out of the two I would get the Iles, as they are a nice company to deal with.

Pfeil are good too.

I have a full set of Ashley iles chisels and they are awesome so much better than my other chisels-a mix of Stanley and marples that are razor sharp by loose the edge quite quickly just cutting soft wood ??? The Ashley set are far superior with the edge retention so I keep these for best .

I have Ashley Iles carving tools and my late father (a Windsor chair maker and woodturner) always used them. They make all their tools onsite, occasionally to order - I had to wait a fortnight for two of my tools to be made. Very nice to use and hold an edge although I strop often.

the auriou chris pye gouges from the saint-juery forge, I have heard very good comments on the subject , are they worked and forged in the old way and do they keep a good edge on hardwoods like oak, maple, walnut, ash, basically are they like the old sheffield gouges ??

Latest posts

Back