HELP!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BambFurniture

Established Member
Reaction score
So i have got myself a evolution table saw. Yes i know they arent great but for now whilst im starting up with my business it hopefully will serve me well.

So my question is the only problem i have found with it is this. Where can i find a replacement RIP fence. The one provided is garbage and impossible to get accurate.

Im thinking about just making my own but would prefer to use one which is is proven and accurate that i can attach to the current table saw i have.

Thank you for any advice given in advance.

YouTube is full of advice on building such things, should you decide to go that route.

There's a fellow called Matthias Wandel, who seems more engineer than wood worker, but comes up with downright incredible jigs and designs for everything from routers to table saws to extractors, he's bound to have a rip fence design and guide there somewhere. He charges on his site for specific drawings and blueprints, but as a guide his videos are free :)

I plan on making some of his stuff eventually, when I've less to worry about in the rest of my life! :D

Nic

PS, as an engineer type, must of his designs are very accurate, and have multiple built in calibration / adjustment points.

I just looked at the Rage 255, looks OK for a cheap starter saw as you say.
I see The fence hooks over the table end, One consideration when you next look for a replacement saw bench
Hopefully a member will have a solution for you.
Regards Rodders

If this is for a business - time is money. Do yourself a favour and buy a decent portable saw (if you are using it on site) like the Bosch ones which can be had for 500-600. The XC has a very good fence if the reviews are to be trusted. Stick the Evolution on eBay.

By the time you have either bought an aftermarket fence or spent your time making one, that money would be better spent on a better saw that 'just works'.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice guys. Atm i dont have the capital to buy a more exoensive saw. Honestly if i did i would. My table saw is kept at my workshop at all times. Never had any need for a portable one.

Have seen alot of people building some fences on youtube but dont want to build one for it only to be rubbish.

Have any of you guys ever built your own?

Many thanks again.

I agree that buying a better saw is your best option, but if that is not an option, as it were, building your own is a very good solution. I have built one and it is every bit as rock solid as the fence that came with the saw. It's an Xcalibur, so not cheap and nasty at all.
Yes, time is money, but if you have the time rather than the money then it is the way to go. I guess today it would cost about £40 in materials and if you can get some steel S/H, reclaimed from something else, even better. It's all, standard off-the-shelf stock and no welding is involved (though there is nothing to stop you welding it up if that's your thing- it's adjustable in all 3 axes if you get it a bit off).

I have a very cheap and not 'too' nasty Draper table saw. I needed something while I save my pennies for a better saw.

Anyway like your saw and other cheaper saws, the fence is pants. Runs off at the end or bends etc, giving an horrific cut that wanders off.

Anyway, for a very very cheap fix, I bought a £15 guide clamp from Axminster that was wider than the saw. I cut it down so it wasn't sticking stupidly out past the face of the saw, and bolted the old guide on top of it to give it some height. It clamps down on the outside of the old guide bar. Works an absolute treat and is rock steady.

The downside is that it doesn't run along the guide bar, you have to take a little more time measuring the front and back of the blade to the guide fence/clamp and there is no fine adjustment - just unclamp and do a little tapping. Although I'm sure just a front of the blade measurement would work.

As I said, it was a very very rough, cheap and quick fix to the same problem you are having and works a treat with accurate cuts every time.

Cheers

Jonny

I had an Evolution Rage for several years, just traded up to a Wadkin (gloat, sorry). The fence isn't great as it has a tendency to be pushed off angle. However, it could be set accurately and then really tightening up on the fixing screws helped a lot. I tried not to put much sideways pressure on the fence, and to check it before anything critical. I did find that, once set, the measurement scale on the fence was accurate.

It cuts very well, and you really can use it for other materials too. The guard arrangement looks awkward but in fact works well once you are used to it and is very safe by design.

Keith

Latest posts

Back