HELP !!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi People

I am building 2 roller cabs

4 foot wide 4 foot high and 2 foot deep each one has 9 draws

I have used Birch ply for the carcasses and draw sides and far eastern ply for the backs and draw bottoms

I have sanded and varnished the draw fronts and now need to do something the the rest

Just been to Homebase and looked at the one coat primer / undercoat , it says on the rear of the tin " For best results use 2 coats " :shock: its £20 for 2.5 ltrs

and the topcoat is £40 for 5 ltrs :shock:

going this way will cost £200 just to put a finish on :?

I want a light colour , white / cream / magnolia

any ideas on what I can use at sensible money :?:

Thanks

I'd have thought 1L of decent primer, one of undercoat and one of gloss would do the job. There is no real advantage ln using primer/undercoat if you need two coats. Don't use cheap paint - you get much what you pay for.

phil.p":b2n8jus0 said:
I'd have thought 1L of decent primer, one of undercoat and one of gloss would do the job. There is no real advantage ln using primer/undercoat if you need two coats. Don't use cheap paint - you get much what you pay for.

I used 10 sheets of 8ft x 4 ft ply to make these , I don't think 1ltr will do it :?

Water down some cheap white matt emulation as the undercoat. Buy a 5l trade tub for no more than £10. Not as good as real primer but does the job, you may need 3 coats but if you don't want to spend the money its just about the only way.

As a guide each 8x4 sheets side is a rough 2.5 sq/m.

As said for the top coats use a decent brand and buy it from a trade centre, its thicker stuff and will cover a lot better. You normally get more from a tin then it says it will cover anyway.

if there are 10 sheets, give or take, and 1L covers 10m2, will Mr Blister not be getting a bit panicy 1/3rd of the way through, and be forced to stop before 1/2 way through due to lack of paint?

marcros":1deka6p4 said:
if there are 10 sheets, give or take, and 1L covers 10m2, will Mr Blister not be getting a bit panicy 1/3rd of the way through, and be forced to stop before 1/2 way through due to lack of paint?

My bad, didn't read properly yeah 1 litre won't do it.

If you're only painting the outside of the cabinets then you have 80 sq ft ( 2@4x4 and 6@4x2 ) this is about 7.5 sq M.
Try a paint merchant like Brewers or Leyland. They have better paint and product knowledge than sheds. If you go with water based then sand the ply after bringing up the grain with a damp cloth (treat yourself to a good synthetic brush too)
Matt

Shrubby":24mtq2lt said:
If you're only painting the outside of the cabinets then you have 80 sq ft ( 2@4x4 and 6@4x2 ) this is about 7.5 sq M.
Try a paint merchant like Brewers or Leyland. They have better paint and product knowledge than sheds. If you go with water based then sand the ply after bringing up the grain with a damp cloth (treat yourself to a good synthetic brush too)
Matt

I am going to varnish the outside

and paint the inside including all the draws inside and out and underneath :lol:

Back