Help - wood wax issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winkiwin

Reaction score
Hi.

I am a long time lurker and am not very skilled beyond basic diy and the like. Think Aldi rather than Festool.

On a recent trip to the parents they commented that they had applied wax to some furniture and had seen some evidence of marking. I have taken pictures as below and I'm wondering what has happened.

Attachments

• IMG_20170129_160914.jpg
    IMG_20170129_160914.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_20170129_170023.jpg
    IMG_20170129_170023.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 914
To me it looks like the wood surface was not sealed and the solvent/carrier in the 'spray' polish has penetrated the underlying wood.

Maybe the surface is now sealed with the 'polish' and is trapping in un-evaporated solvent/carrier in the wood, darkening it.

My guess is those marks were there before they applied the wax, but they never noticed because it was all fairly matt and dull. It's a bit like applying an oil finish when there's some PVA squeeze out, the squeeze out was pretty much invisible before, but with the finish on top it's blindingly obvious!

be interested to know which non silicone spray polish was used as if its the bright yellow can with funny shaped lid (sorry forget the name but dreadful stuff ) it seems to have some sort of oil in it and that would bring dings and dents alive so to speak....

woodsilk spray ? ..its great stuff so long asit doesnt actually come into contact with any wood! We use it over sealed / thoroughly waxed surfaces as its probably better than using pledge!

(both woodsilk and pledge say not to use on unsealed surfaces)

yes thats the one! whats in it? I've used it and its great when it first goes on then it kind of evaporates within 24hrs....

Matt@":nbrp7yvf said:
be interested to know which non silicone spray polish was used as if its the bright yellow can with funny shaped lid (sorry forget the name but dreadful stuff ) it seems to have some sort of oil in it and that would bring dings and dents alive so to speak....
That is what my money's on.

This is a great illustration of why these sorts of furniture polishes are fundamentally a bad idea. If we still used paste wax only this sort of thing would never crop up. Wax feels better and keeps the surface shiny a lot longer too!

But waxing takes longer to do and it's more work to put on, which is why Pledge etc. came along.

Back