Help with laying out my workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a double (and a bit) garage into which I want to fit a whole load of kit (bandsaw, table saw with sliding thing, bandsaw, lathe, thicknesser, planner, router boss) as well as deal with the fact that I want to be able to (very occasionally) fit a car in one half.

I have more space than many seem to have but this is almost causing a problem in that I don't really know how to best use it. Is there any software or ever paper ware which will allow me to lay stuff out so that I can see what will fit where and how much room to allow around each bit for material handling etc?

Many thanks

MIles

I don't really know how to best use it.

I don't think the rest of us do either Miles. I've just finished laying out my shop for the fourth time in 18 months!
I would suggest you just start using the machines, eventually you will end up with the best layout for you.

Roy.

Most M/Cs are best on castors then the layout is permanently flexible.
The table saw is the biggest problem i found i could not have a slider and then put the car in front of it so siting it is a good place to start.

If you get some graph paper and cut some machine sized squares from paper to scale you can then place the 'to scale' machines onto your to scale garage and move them around until you get a good fit.

If you also have a car shaped on you can include that in you plan.

Personally I prefer the sketchup idea.

Mick

If you go down the "lay it out on graph paper/sketchup" route, be sure to allow space for handing the wood around the tools...

Hi There

I recommend the Sketchup approach, you can build your exact structure and build cupboards, tables and use the 3D warehouse for more complex items that have been drawn up by other people. This is my WIP plan still a way off but accurate enough to buld from eventually. I have removed a wall for clarity!

Workshopdesign2.jpg

MickCheese":2c9xxtin said:
If you get some graph paper and cut some machine sized squares from paper to scale you can then place the 'to scale' machines onto your to scale garage and move them around until you get a good fit.

If you also have a car shaped on you can include that in you plan.

Personally I prefer the sketchup idea.

Mick

Don't forget to add space around the machines for you and your material to manouevre. EDIT: rats! Richard beat me to it.

I'm a great believer in mobile bases and the upside is that they force you to keep your workshop floor clean of debris otherwise they don't move very easily!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - looks like I need to get to grips with sketch up (I recall there have been some tutorials on this site, anyone care to point me at them as "sketchup" kicks out one heck of a lot of hits!).

Is there anywhere that gives suggestions for the amount of space to allow for material handling? In other fields (kitchens, bathrooms etc) there are recognised standards - I'm not expecting that for the workshop as what we do varies so much however some guidelines would be nice :)

As for putting the machines in place I don't yet have them (and to some extent this exercise is about do I buy some of them (combined thickness planer or separates) so that limits that approach a little.

I am expecting most if not all of the machines to be on casters as the number of times a year I actually need to have the car in the garage is very small but what it needs to be in there, it really needs to be there :roll:

One of the other drivers for not messing about too much with the layout once it's in is the installation of the ducted Dust Extraction - I really don't want to be messing around too much with that :D

Any road, thanks for the help so far and keep any ideas coming!

Miles

Miles

Fixed ducting isn't essential especially if this is more a 'hobby' related activity. I standardised on all my machines and converted them all down to a standard size ..58mm IIRC..which fits the hose that came with my Wet'n'dry vacuum. I use a ClearVue cyclone together with the vacuum mounted on a mobile base. I also added an extension tube so I can pretty much get to most of the machines fairly quickly and easily. You can just see it bottom LH corner

wshop4.jpg

It works well with the router table, WoodRat, large bandsaw, table saw, thicknesser and planer. It doesn't work quite so well with the spindle moulder but I'm not surprised.

Roger

miles_hot":odxsteu5 said:
Is there anywhere that gives suggestions for the amount of space to allow for material handling?

This is partly down to the work you intend to do and the space you have. If you thinking you'll be ripping a lot of 8'x4' sheets over the table saw, for example then, you'd need 8ft of clearance before and after the saw, with perhaps up to 4ft either side! :shock:

What's the longest length of timber you're likely to run over your planer? If you're only in to furniture making, 5ft is probably about right.

Back