Help with Inca saw/planer etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergalb

Reaction score
I came across this site inca-table-saw-restoration-t35555.html while I was looking for a bit of info on a INCA work station, I do a bit of boat building and restoration as you can see from my links below and today I was given this and thought it would be nice to bring her back to her former glory :D I know nothing about them or if you can still get parts for them so any help or advice would be great.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.jpeg
    DSC_0035.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 254
Can't give any detailed help, but was looking for some other stuff yesterday and came across the sales literature for Inca machines from (guessing) the late 70s. Will have another look, and if there is anything informative in there, could scan it for you.

Wow that thread of mine as a while back!

You will find a wealth of information on the saws and planers of this wonderful company at the INCA WOODWORKING GROUP IN YAHOO

It has been a great source of information for me in the past.

I don't have the jointer but the saw is a wonderful piece of kit indeed....and is much sought after, particularly in the USA.

As you can see...I fitted a FREUD DIABLO blade to it (the 184mm just fits)....and it transformed it but you will have to make a bush to fit the saw as the arbour is different to those made today. But is cuts like a dream...this is oak and that was a slice...

DSC_0036.JPG

If you need any more help just ask mate.

Jim

Thanks for the reply and the link. I have joined up with the Yahoo group and they have been a great help already :D I now just have find out what parts are missing and how hard the will be to find like the guide arm that goes across the planer :( I will start stripping it down when the kids go back to school and see what sort of headache I have got my self into :lol:
Thanks again.

Well I started to strip it down today, I'm in two minds whether to build a new table as two of the legs had been cut off :roll: plus it has a lot of dings and a bit of woodworm or I might just fix it up a bit and leave some of the battle scars for character :D as it will still be used as a working tool.

2013-01-02113118.jpg

2013-01-02113105.jpg

FWIW, that looks very much like the original maker-supplied stand. At about that period, some of the Inca machinery was branded "Startrite-inca". Which suggests that their quality was well recognised.

dickm":22624lem said:
FWIW, that looks very much like the original maker-supplied stand. At about that period, some of the Inca machinery was branded "Startrite-inca". Which suggests that their quality was well recognised.

I agree. That is almost certainly an original stand and if so...you should keep it in place if you are aiming for originality.

I notice you have the mortiser attachment too which often goes AWOL.

Jim

Yes it's original I got this from the guys on the yahoo group. I was thinking of cutting off the other two legs :shock: and putting on locking casters as it's quite a heavy lump to move around on my own and I will have to store it in a small shed and bring it out when I need it, I'm not after perfection just a good looking working tool :D I'm having trouble trying to find a suva blade guard but hopefully one will turn up before I'm finished if not I'll make something up. Looks like I just missed this one by a few months :x http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suva-Guard-In ... 0794083966

INCA+COMBO005.jpg

I was having a hard time finding a cover for the planer so I called up the guy and asked him to keep an eye out for any aluminium parts that he thinks might belong to the machine so yesterday he called me to say he had a box of stuff for me to collect :D most of the stuff was just rubbish but I did get these including the guard so I'm trilled with that :)

20130106_114509.jpg

Also in the box was this stanley plane I have no idea what it's for but it's looks cool :)

20130106_114544.jpg

20130106_114605.jpg

Nice to have friends like that mate...looks like you are getting things together now.

What you have there with the plane is a rather sorry No.45 from an older era...this is what it would look like when complete:

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

I don't have mine anymore...too fiddly and went for a fortune. Yours will clean up and perhaps sell for parts...the bits break easily if dropped!

Or you could ask your friend if he has the rest of it! 8)

Jimi

Very nice restoration indeed my friend. Attention to detail is superb!!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

How does it all perform?

I think you have all you need there to produce some very fine work

Bravo!

Jim

Thanks, I haven't given her a good go yet as the weather is rubbish here at the moment so she is just sitting in the hall till it picks up "much to the delight of my wife" :D

Lovely restoration of a really nice piece of kit from an earlier era.

Grannies, eggs and all that, but when using it for angled cuts, be a bit careful as with the tilting table, gravity is inclined(!) to pull the workpiece downhill on the table.

Latest posts

Back