Help with identifying plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that one of you plane pervs over here in the Hand Tools forum would have any idea about the provenance of this plane.
Obviously I know its a No 5, but it has no other markings except for the word 'Germany' stamped on the top of the iron.
Any ideas?
2013-09-24 11.23.25.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-09-24 11.23.25.jpg
    2013-09-24 11.23.25.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 1,114
I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about it, except to confirm that it's a plane. I'm rather glad about that, because it probably confirms that I'm not a perv.

I would go slightly further and say it is German

:roll:

Pete

It looks like a number 5 to me.

I wonder when a plane perv will turn up with the rest of the information you want?

Oh my - it's a plane. A stripped down plane. Just look at that pert little knob on the front. Just like a Scammell wheel nut.

Any photos of it being stripped down? I'm asking for a friend.

Is the mouth adjustable? It looks nice and tight to me.

I was told that you guys were good, but I had no idea you were that good!!
So now I know - it's a plane, possibly German.
This place is like Janes Guide for tools!!

Both Groz and Kunz planes have the name on the cap iron. The Groz has a "V" shape behind the rear handle. Could it be a mix of parts from various planes?

Sorry, I'm talking twaddle here, the Kunz doesn't have the name on the cap iron, however their No. 5 has a Norris style adjuster.

I know you say it's a five, and we can see that but it looks quite long to me, so more like a fore so wouldn't that make it a no 6 :-k

But we know a little more. . . . The frog, blade and cap iron appear to be early. . . 1930's and earlier.
Not sure about the Plane body though.
Things are starting to unravel. Exciting!!!!

MIGNAL":1tfat45p said:
But we know a little more. . . . The frog, blade and cap iron appear to be early. . . 1930's and earlier.

What tells you that they are pre 1930? Steel screws in the handle and a brass one in the knob indicate it's possibly a mix.

Grayorm":255kj3vk said:
MIGNAL":255kj3vk said:

What tells you that they are pre 1930? Steel screws in the handle and a brass one in the knob indicate it's possibly a mix.

You need to read my post again. '1930's' doesn't imply that it's pre 1930, could be 1939!!

Jason":2m51ybuj said:
You're all wrong. It's a table saw.

Dang it - you're right!

He needs to get those bits of plane off it, though. Could be nasty if they got mixed up with a spinning blade.

Latest posts

Back